Continuation of a "What happened to art?" reddit thread.
@JosephCow

Lol yes then it would be a good game indeed if it had those other things! Perhaps it would fit into the genre that Luigi's Mansion and Resident Evil 1 fit into.

You've made me have to think quite hard about what I meant about lots of different creative-aspects... Let me try to form my words better. I myself notice that today there are some media which are more 'flexible' than others: the examples I can think of are games, YouTube videos, and performance-art. Like, the definition of what a game or YT-vid or performance-art piece is is so very broad. Games can range from first-person multiplayer shooters through to point-and-click interactive books. A YT video can really be made up of any combination of sight and sound that you choose—it can mix CGI, live-action, animation, samples from pre-existing videos—and it will still get aired, in contrast to traditional film and animation in which a work has to meet certain parameters, usually, in order for a producer to agree to show it at places. Performance-art is similarly unbound by parameters, I think. Whereas for example in music, or in static pictorial and sculptural art, relative to those examples, I think there are comparatively less 'branches' of creativity that the artist can utilize inside that medium to actualize their vision: to elaborate briefly and crudely, traditionally music is written without the aid of video, and traditionally static pictorial and sculptural art is made to be unaccompanied by audio. Now say a person does not have any significant amount of talent in any particular aspect of traditional technical artistic skill—they can't paint particularly well, they can't write a tune and they can't express themselves with words—yet, they have a strong vision of something they want to make: I think this person would have a better chance in actualizing their creative vision in one of those more 'flexible' media than in the other types; this is because there is higher chance that while exploring those 'flexible' media they would hit upon some aspect of creative-ability therein which they had not considered before—some 'branch' of creative-ability that simply does not exist in traditional media—which they take to, and which they discover they actually have a certain aptitude for. No, after thinking more about it, you're right: a work cannot be mediocre across the board and still hope to impress, it does need to shine in at least one area. But I think in these 'flexible' media there exists such a variety of different aspects of creative-ability, or such a variety of different skills, that someone who might otherwise look at the traditional media of expression and think they could never make anything of worth therein, might then look at these more 'flexible' media and spy an aspect that they resonate with. It's hard to describe what these aspects of creative ability unique to these 'flexible' media are, I think because they're so new to us. Video meme-artists like Kracc Bacc for example: Kracc Bacc doesn't make any new assets, everything you see in one of his videos is something that is sampled from pre-existing media; Kracc Bacc's talent is in combining and manipulating those samples in such a way so as to create something new which we haven't seen before, which final piece succeeds in delighting us (assuming it resonates with one's personal taste, of course). I think when I said that a work could impress despite not excelling in any particular aspect, what I meant was that an artist like Kracc Bacc can have insignificant ability in all the usual aspects of creativity one would think of, yet they excel in an aspect that is unusual and which society has not spent much time considering nor discussing yet, and so it's hard to define this 'new' aspect of creative ability and so, sometimes, one can't quite put one's finger on exactly what it is about the work that makes it impressive.

And I agree with you that the more aspects of skill an artist excels in the better will be the work.

I'm enjoying this very much by the way, and appreciate the opportunity to discuss these things.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Continuation of a "What happened to art?" reddit thread. - by galen - 03-03-2024, 04:46 PM