Help With Photoshop Blending Modes
Perhaps you can all help me further here.

So, here's a very quick and rough sketch to illustrate what I'm dealing with. This is a black and white image where I went messing around with some values. Initially I wanted to add some brown colours to work out the leather equipment on the waist. I tried the "color" blending mode as suggested by some tutorials as well as this and other forums. I added some other colour examples out of frustration. My result is attached.

You can see the colours that I wanted under the column marked "Normal" vs. the colours I got under that marked "Color." It was suggested here to start with weaker values or lower opacities but when I did this, the brown never got as dark as I wanted it to. The "color blending mode" colours are nothing like the ones I used as an example.

So, is this "just how it is" or am I doing something completely idiotic and wrong here? (I'm willing to accept it is most likely the latter). These colours aren't even close to what I'm picking and lighter colours just don't have the same strength - they look washed out. For reference, the colours in the example here are at 100% opacity.

I don't want to whine but I'm really frustrated here - I want to get better but I feel like I'm having to either a) completely abandon the B&W value model and just paint on one layer or b) start learning to pick a colour that looks nothing like the one I want to hopefully get the colour I'm after, or c) have a different blending mode for every different colour/value/section of the image.

I'm lost at this point. I just don't get it. I know that a B&W values base is good for workflow but holy hell - it should not be this wonky to colour it. I must be doing something wrong - I just don't know what it is.

At this point I'm about ready to just start painting on a single layer because clearly I don't understand this at all.

Thanks in advance for those patient enough to try explaining this again.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Help With Photoshop Blending Modes - by Anti - 10-05-2012, 02:55 PM
RE: Help With Photoshop Blending Modes - by Anti - 10-06-2012, 01:41 AM
RE: Help With Photoshop Blending Modes - by Matthew - 10-11-2012, 05:20 AM
RE: Help With Photoshop Blending Modes - by Anti - 10-17-2012, 10:33 AM
RE: Help With Photoshop Blending Modes - by iCi - 10-17-2012, 07:52 PM