Character crit please :D
(07-06-2013, 06:37 AM)DanDussault Wrote: Hey there, please take anything i write as constructive criticism. This is a training room. So far, you have a figure and not so much a character so really you are forming this idea as you work. She has a VERY strong starwars vibe that I think will fade away the more you add to her. I like the asymmetrical armor and I think you should consider her silhouette (without the cape) when designing her armor. Make one side have all sorts of internal and embedded chunky armor while the other side is sleek and form fitting. Try and give the cape something interesting to do too. have it getting kicked up by a gust of wind. Her pose is pretty standard for character design but you could accentuate it even further by making her either more masculine or more feminine. Have you ever seen the anime, Gurren Laagan? The character yoko is a sniper and she has very feminine poses that are also very powerful and convey the POTENTIAL of action. Your characters gun needs to be really awsome too. Slightly unconventional silhouette on the weapon can tell loads about where the character came from. dont be afraid to go wild. if you think the design is too bizarre then dial it back. here is my fast paintover. i added a survey bot too. you can see how one side of here is totally different htan the other. i also moved her head over etc.

No worries I dont take my art personally at all :)
Yes I've kind of been developing it as I work so I havent got a very solid idea what I'm going to do with it yet. I see what you mean about star wars actually, i wasnt thinking of that but the cloak and sci fi armour do look very starwars-esque.
Great idea with pushing the asymmetry, will bulk up one side and maybe try some different materials as well.
Just had a look at the Yoko designs and I see what you mean, I probably should have tried some more dynamic poses, will do that in the future for sure, will just try to make it a bit more curvy with this one i think to boost the femininity :P
Was going to go for a ridiculously long sniper with some blue glow bands and lights etc on it (kind of final fantasy style I guess)
I like the survey bot a lot, kinda makes the design a bit more whole somehow.
Really like what you did with the paintover, thanks very much for taking the time to do that :D
I'm gonna try to push the silhouette a bit more to make it asymmetric too.
I think I'll admit defeat with the cloak, I think it probably will look better blown out rather than wrapped around her, as though I was going for a more covert look rather than heroic it just doesnt look natural when its around her leg.
Thanks very much for the help, much appreciated, will update when I've made some progress! :)

Messages In This Thread
Character crit please :D - by Wardy - 07-06-2013, 04:49 AM
RE: Character crit please :D - by Rognoll - 07-06-2013, 04:54 AM
RE: Character crit please :D - by Wardy - 07-06-2013, 04:58 AM
RE: Character crit please :D - by Madzia - 07-06-2013, 05:13 AM
RE: Character crit please :D - by Rognoll - 07-06-2013, 05:16 AM
RE: Character crit please :D - by Wardy - 07-06-2013, 05:30 AM
RE: Character crit please :D - by DanDussault - 07-06-2013, 06:37 AM
RE: Character crit please :D - by Wardy - 07-06-2013, 08:42 AM
RE: Character crit please :D - by DanDussault - 07-07-2013, 11:27 AM
RE: Character crit please :D - by par gin - 07-08-2013, 01:15 AM
RE: Character crit please :D - by Wardy - 07-08-2013, 07:01 AM