Spreading too thin or gaining valuable experience?
Heres the bottom line:

If your not happy with where you are, you're no place at all.

i think thats from a movie or something, but the point is that being somewhere you are not happy is worse than being someplace where you might be, especially when that other place might be more beneficial than where you are now.

If I were in your shoes I would take this opportunity to move. You might not have another opportunity like this in the future. You might not be spending as much time as you want to be drawing, but at least you're doing something that's still somewhat relevant to your field, and you will probably meet like-minded people and learn from them. You might even find better opportunities for illustration over there.

Have you watched the crimson conversation with Kekai Kotaki? His story is really interesting. He basically started as a texture artist for a game company (not where he wanted to be), spent a lot of his free time getting better at drawing, and eventually worked his way up to being the lead concept artist at that company. Case in point, if you REALLY want to be in illustration, you will make it happen. It took Kekai many years, but look where he is now :)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spreading too thin or gaining valuable experience? - by Patrick Gaumond - 08-02-2013, 09:15 AM