Sketchbook of Studies,Sketches and Ideas!

I've been trying to get the hang of lighting things better.... i read james gurneys book and i've got a grasp when it comes to different principles and all.. but i'm having a hard time grouping my values nicely... and i'm also having a hard time knowing how dark to make the terminator/how to transition into it nicely... I've spent so much time with pen and paper focusing mainly on line that i have a hard time now when i try finishing stuff and all...

Anyways I painted this fish-in-a-shirt type guy. The idea in the beginning was just to have a strange fish sitting on the ground, the sketch didnt take me long but as I went on i was struggling a lot.. i changed things around and I wanted to finish it more. I'm not really sure about the result.. I feel like I learned a few things but I still want to get my values and lighting much better. I looked at different pictures in the progress to see what I could improve.

In the future i'll definately go for a more interesting composition and pose to start with.. if i'm going to spend this long on a picture i'd like to atleast have an interesting idea next time!

I might do some photo studies tomorrow, I want to learn how to make an image pop with contrast but I want to avoid weird muddy colors and too many blacks/whites.

Crits are very appreciated! Especially on grouping values / light!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sketchbook of Studies,Sketches and Ideas! - by CarlJonssonArt - 08-16-2013, 08:27 AM