oh no, my sketchbook
Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone! I try to go to this site sparingly (so as to prevent slacking off) so I hadn't noticed these until now.

(10-06-2013, 12:49 PM)Triggerpigking Wrote: Welcome to Crimson Daggers!
Nice studies so far you're value study''s are coming along great considering you just started. On the last apple drawing I think you needed to use a hard brush more and also there's that higlight as well you missed, as for the texturing........god knows XD have'nt figured that out myself, I think it'd be a good idea to group the larger amounts of colour together though and slowly add more and more detail, if that makes any sense.
For your traditional work, i'd suggest you try Micheal Hampton's book sometime, i'm studying him atm and he really goes in-depth on gesture drawing and how to build the figure up over it.
You're on the right track man, keep it up :).

Yeah, that makes sense. And I do intend to go through Hampton's book at some point. Maybe not right away, since it just gets to be too much if I utilize too many art books at once.

(10-06-2013, 05:14 PM)smrrfette Wrote: Yaaaay! Another sketchblogger! Much respect ~
You're already off to a great start... really quite remarkable given the amount of times you've drawn in your life as well O_O

Keep it up, I'll be watching 'ya :D!

(10-06-2013, 07:10 PM)atrenr Wrote: Hey ohnoes! You have a nice start to your sketchbook so far. I saw you mentioned a fear of failing and just wanted to let you know that is very normal(we do want to be good at this afterall!) and it does take awhile to get the mentality of "failure is good" installed in your brain. It can be rough until you really get it nailed down in your head so hang in there and keep pushing yourself.

It's good that you are learning the skeletal features. Something I recommend to everyone who is learning anatomy is to learn the muscles of the body as well(no skin). There are a lot of them but when you know what exactly what is under the skin and how everything wraps around the bone/eachother, things get much easier!

As for your apple I did a quick step-by-step paintover thing. It got rather long so I'm just gonna put it in spoiler tags so it doesn't clutter your sb Thumbs_up

Thanks a lot for this! I'm assuming you did the initial steps with the brush tool and not smudge? I'm not sure I could get the same smoothness with the brush I was using. Maybe I need to fix the spacing. And you're right, I forget at times I need to go from general to specific with my drawings/paintings.

(10-07-2013, 03:46 AM)Elif Wrote: Great start you made here! Additionally to atrenr's awesome paintover, I'd suggest to do some painted studies of basic object shapes like spheres and stuff.
This way it'll become easier for you to distinguish between color changes due to form / shading and texture when doing those fruit studies :)

Yeah, will definitely do this at some point! Sooner than later for sure.

So I've made anki decks (spaced-repetiton system for studying/committing to memory) for remembering skeletal landmarks, as well as anatomy. It should help for remembering the names and location of the muscles, but of course, I'll need to start actually drawing the muscles in at some point to get an idea of how they should look.

I've been focusing on figure drawing the past few days. Mainly sticking to Proko's 30-second (doing 45 second for now) and 2-minute drawings. Getting the "feel" of the pose, using fewer but long/important lines, and not trying to care if the drawing's "good" or not. I do care a little bit though sadly :( He recommends to try to draw how he draws (learn through imitation), then draw the pose myself, or vice versa - so that's what I tried here. It's a bit tough, because he applies gesture a little differently each time.

I just need to remember that it's a long-term grind with no real shortcuts. Hope I'm not doing anything radically wrong though - not trying to copy contours. I am trying to keep at least a little conscious of proportion (harder to do/measure when I'm put under a time limit). Proko almost always gets his proportion spot-on, probably because he's done this for years/decades.

First attachment's 100 60-second gesture drawings, then the rest is explained. The last two-min drawings I tried to do messed me up, and I show the model here. I retried it a few times because I was disappointed in it, but then I exaggerated the curves on the last one and it seemed to work better.

One thing I want to get done by next week is build a reference folder and organize it. Want to dump thousands of images into there. Since I want to learn to draw manga, I'll probably be getting a month of pixiv premium so I can start hoarding tons of the popular work they have. I'm already following hundreds of artists, but I haven't bothered downloading anything lol

I've also bought an easel. I'm mainly going to draw myself nude in the mirror every day or every other day. I assume it's the next best thing since all life-drawing sessions are an hour-long drive away :\

Oh, I have a important question: Is there any tips or exercises on drawing boxes/cylinders/cones from the imagination? It sounds a bit silly, but something almost every big artist pushes is being able to draw those objects at any angle/perspective. I've been drawing boxes/cylinder-shaped objects from real life, observing them - but I'm wondering if there's more I can do to try to grasp drawing these objects a bit more.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
oh no, my sketchbook - by ohnoes - 09-28-2013, 03:07 PM
RE: oh no, my sketchbook - by Madzia - 09-28-2013, 07:55 PM
RE: oh no, my sketchbook - by ohnoes - 09-28-2013, 10:30 PM
RE: oh no, my sketchbook - by MoDrawzz - 09-29-2013, 05:09 AM
RE: oh no, my sketchbook - by ohnoes - 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM
RE: oh no, my sketchbook - by ohnoes - 10-06-2013, 10:19 AM
RE: oh no, my sketchbook - by Triggerpigking - 10-06-2013, 12:49 PM
RE: oh no, my sketchbook - by smrr - 10-06-2013, 05:14 PM
RE: oh no, my sketchbook - by atrenr - 10-06-2013, 07:10 PM
RE: oh no, my sketchbook - by Elif - 10-07-2013, 03:46 AM