Critique / Help with colorizing
@MonkeyBread

I'm not trying to be as realistic as possible, but I'm not going to try and perfectly render my face.

I'd like to know what you mean about adding more volume to the hair. I can understand more cast shadows.

I actually just watched a video where the artist mentioned this same exact "vibrating" technique. Thank's a bunch for the examples! I'm glad I at least recognize the Rembrandt painting. It's incredible how that technique works... unfortunately my face doesn't have as many folds and wrinkles that makes his so fantastic.

@Lhune

Haha, well I don't usually post pictures or drawings of myself. I know the nose is too long, but trying to fix it seemed just to ruin the painting in my eyes. I might try again. I tried to add in some subtle shading, as you are right, I saw some very subtle shading in the mirror.

I'm sure you are right, but I'm terrible at gauging color, which is why I tried to gauge by value first, and then add color. It might not be perfect, but for my first time coloring like this, I'd say it's better than anything else I've attempted. I'll have to train my eye, but that's when I've got more time... I'm a bit on a busy schedule.

I never knew you were on this site, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. There's a bunch of amazing artists and designs on here.

-----------------------------

After taking some advice and looking at master portraits, I've come up with this...

Not really sure what to do with the background though...

Messages In This Thread
Critique / Help with colorizing - by opkluu - 10-10-2013, 06:06 AM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by Lhune - 10-10-2013, 10:53 PM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by opkluu - 10-11-2013, 07:00 AM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by Lhune - 10-11-2013, 09:50 PM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by opkluu - 10-16-2013, 01:03 PM
RE: Critique / Help with colorizing - by Lhune - 10-17-2013, 03:46 AM