Nerds, dorks and other geeky kinds.
(11-01-2013, 09:26 AM)ChantalFournier Wrote: Also, just because someone geeks out about stuff you don't care about or don't tell you what they geek out about doesn't mean that they are less geeky than you are. I know knitting geeks who wouldn't know a Pokemon if they were bitten by one and I can garantee that they are as geeky as you are.

I mentioned pokemon as a silly example and it's not about what I care or don't care about. I was talking about the fact that most concept art/illustration is based, or has something to do with fantasy, science fiction or videogames.
It was not a critic to anyone, or to anything, it was just simply a question. I've heard concept artists openly say "I don't play videogames" or "I don't play TCG" "I don't like fantasy/sci-fi" but they do make concept art for those things.
I'm not saying they are not passioned about other things, I'm sure everyone is, but what I mean is, it's not a field that you can get into by accident nowadays.
So where does that motivation to work hard for something so specific come from, when you're not even into it?

(11-01-2013, 10:40 PM)JonHop Wrote: We all have our own interests and hobbies (pokemon rocks btw been playing since the 1st gen ;), although haven't had the money or time to get the last couple of games :( ). I think generally people's interests within the art community vary more than the average person as there is always something we can learn by diversifying our interests and studies.

I know, art is very wide, but I was talking about actual concept art for that kind of stuff.
Don't get me wrong, I think having an open point of view is one of the best things you can do, both in art and in life. I'm not aginst differences in taste, and I'm not even trying to diferentiate people (I'm starting to think that's how my first post makes people feel and I want to say it was not what I meant at all) I'm not saying it's bad or wrong to work in this field if you're not a fan of this kind of stuff, I'm just curious.

Messages In This Thread
Nerds, dorks and other geeky kinds. - by Rognoll - 11-01-2013, 02:18 AM
RE: Nerds, dorks and other geeky kinds. - by Rognoll - 11-02-2013, 12:22 AM