Would you like to come up and see my etchings?
Wow, I really love your sketches! You have a very unique way of revealing the human form. :) Enjoying the studies too-- Keep up the good habits. ;)

Annnd...

(12-11-2014, 11:13 AM)Patrick Gaumond Wrote: You know, I've realized over the last few weeks how massively different the frame of mind and the thought process is behind drawing and painting. Forget the physical differences for a second; I think that when you say you're "falling behind" or getting "rusty" between two mediums, it's not really because you're losing skill or becoming less proficient at it, but your mindset hasn't shifted gears to accommodate the different materials.

Think about it. The fundamental way you think about painting (value and contrast) is massively different from the way you approach drawing (contour and edge delineation). So maybe it's not an issue of skill but rather of mindset. I don't think there's anyway to get over that besides doing both and slowly getting used to both simultaneously. The problem gets worse the more you neglect one medium, not because you're losing skill but because you're training your brain to think in one way when it's been used to thinking a vastly different way, and more often.

Actually, I noticed something that some pros have often said about drawing/painting. I checked out your deviantart before I'd make an utter fool of myself, haha, and, well, you're obviously pro as well, and far ahead of me, so... Maybe this will help, and maybe it won't. :)

So: What the pros often say is that we should treat drawing like painting, that we should try to 'sculpt out' our forms, let them emerge, and that we should follow the contours of the form with our pencil as we would with a paintbrush, if that makes any sense.

I'm just figuring it out, and, actually, I feel like I've been treating painting like drawing rather than the other way around, slowly pulling myself in the other direction. By doing so, I do feel that my own work has improved a great deal when I put this mindset into practice.

Anyway... Obviously there is no absolute way of doing things, and every artist is different. So, this method may help some artists flourish, whereas others benefit from thinking of each medium as an art all itself.

Obviously, artistic growth involves a great deal of exploration into what works for the individual artist... So... My point is only to reveal a little bit of something that I've learned. :D

Sketchblag

Join our Study Group: The Velvet Revolvers!  Let's work hard together!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Sean McCLain - 10-18-2014, 03:33 AM
RE: Would you like to come up and see my etchings? - by Bookend - 12-15-2014, 07:21 PM