Introducing /r/CommercialArt
Quote:Couple things here:

1) There ARE places on reddit for commercial art (and those serious about art). One has to understand that /r/games is an anomoly formed from an actual lack of one of it's kind when it was formed a couple years ago AND is a much more pleasant and heavily moderated alternative to /r/gaming (and /r/gamingnews and /r/gamernews. They all suck). It's a community within a community making it work.

The reason why the other commercial art subreddits don't quite work is that a) the communties are much much smaller and work toward a specific subject or fandom or b) they have all information they need and/or the main person contributing to the subreddit prefers to contribute on their own site and/or are seldom active.

Is there a place on Reddit that focuses on sharing news and tutorials and everything else like this one does? I don't know about it, but let me know if there is. /r/Art only shares the artwork, same with /r/ConceptArt, /r/Imaginary, /r/MattePainting, /r/DigitalPainting and /r/IDAP. There's barealy any content posted on /r/LearnConceptArt, with no news and no system in the content that has already been posted. There's a few things in /r/Drawing's sidebar but I already have more content in the wiki than that and the posted content is just art. Then there's /r/ArtBlogs, which is mostly just a place to pitch your own blog and it ends up being filled with art only. The content of this subreddit is focused on something completely else.

Quote:2) To that end, CrimsonDaggers is something else entirely. We're our own small community with our own style of doing things. While there's nothing wrong with trying to form something on reddit (again) we're not really the first people you should consider.

That's why it feels like pointing such out to us feels like spam. For the most part Daggers works for what we need it for.

Personally I'm all for making the reddit work (it would be nice to have a central place for things like art podscasts to be posted and to have our own scene news, instead of talking in the general forums on here and on CA.org), BUT this does feel redundant.

Once again, this wasn't created with the intention to replace Crimson Daggers or CA.org. You say it would be nice to "have a central place for things like art podscasts to be posted and to have our own scene news" and when I introduce something aimed to be exactly that you say it feels redundant.

In the end, it's just another art related subreddit, don't make such a big deal out of it. I'm not forcing it on you, I just wanted to let people know it exists.

Industry news, discussions and resources

Messages In This Thread
Introducing /r/CommercialArt - by Fable74 - 01-14-2014, 07:25 AM
RE: Introducing /r/CommercialArt - by Psychotime - 01-14-2014, 10:08 AM
RE: Introducing /r/CommercialArt - by Fable74 - 01-14-2014, 09:00 PM
RE: Introducing /r/CommercialArt - by Doolio - 01-14-2014, 10:55 PM
RE: Introducing /r/CommercialArt - by Psychotime - 01-15-2014, 01:09 AM
RE: Introducing /r/CommercialArt - by Fable74 - 01-15-2014, 02:16 AM
RE: Introducing /r/CommercialArt - by Doolio - 01-15-2014, 02:29 AM
RE: Introducing /r/CommercialArt - by Fable74 - 01-15-2014, 02:38 AM
RE: Introducing /r/CommercialArt - by Tyrus - 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM
RE: Introducing /r/CommercialArt - by Fable74 - 01-15-2014, 06:28 PM