W.p The artist sin
Hey darktiste, good work, I rolled some 'sins' together because they were just aspects of each other. Basically it all sums up as "Be emotionally detached.".

Also added mantras to provide mnemonic aid. And to sound fuckin' sweeeeet.

The Artist's Sins

Sloth

Mantra: I am the creator and the destroyer.

- Defined as a failure to be disciplined. Source; attempting to protect yourself from the emotional harm caused by any failure to succeed. This protection prevents us from succeeding, and results in greater harm to the self.

Remedy; distract yourself from ineffective work by seeking an understanding of what is hindering you. Alternatively, play to your strengths for motivation, and gradually reinforce those areas at which you are weakest. Avoid specialization over long periods of time.

Mantra: I am the creator and the destroyer.

Envy

Mantra: I am the student, and these are my peers.

- Can be a motivator, although it can also generate poor self-esteem. This forces a self-protective mindset onto the artist and reinforces the dangers of Sloth.

Remedy; know that all artists must undergo trials of their skill and dedication, what we search for comes easily to none, and we must search for it alone.

Mantra: I am the student, and these are my peers.

Pride and Shame

Mantra: I am the endeavour. I end at completion.

- The isolation necessary for our studies instils false confidence, this leads to frustration when situations beyond our present capability defeat us.

Remedy; know that true excellence is the product of one of three things. Luck, specialization, or preparation. Recognize luck and specialization in others, and assure your own excellence with preparation. You do not succeed or fail, you dismiss and continue anew.

Mantra: I am the endeavour. I end at completion.

Messages In This Thread
W.p The artist sin - by darktiste - 02-18-2014, 07:04 AM
RE: The artist sin - by Jonas Jerde - 02-18-2014, 07:45 AM
RE: The artist sin - by darktiste - 02-18-2014, 08:33 AM
RE: The artist sin - by Finnjamin - 02-18-2014, 08:32 AM
RE: The artist sin - by Amit Dutta - 02-18-2014, 10:37 AM
RE: The artist sin - by Psychotime - 02-19-2014, 09:13 AM
RE: The artist sin - by Ursula Dorada - 02-19-2014, 12:11 PM
RE: The artist sin - by Adam Lina - 02-20-2014, 03:55 AM
RE: The artist sin - by eru - 02-20-2014, 02:23 PM
RE: W.p The artist sin - by darktiste - 10-21-2020, 05:49 AM
RE: W.p The artist sin - by darktiste - 10-27-2020, 10:18 AM