|| Cold Coffe || Getting serious with caffeine in my system
Archreux Thanks man, always nice to see ya around the SB :D and thanks for the advice! ;)

Caisne Aww dude, moving is a PAIN, let's hope we'll both be settled soon enough.

JyonnyNovice Thanks about the advice man, I'll check all that out, I also heard there's a pretty awesome site that sells really good monitors for super low prices, so I got a lotta screens to check out haha.

pindurski Hahaha I didn't know that artist, but I think it's all about using the chalk brush with little pressure so it leaves behind that kind of "ghost" effect that look kinda spontaneous ;) I dig your stuff a lot, glad you dropped by!

Wall of text for those who give a fuck ( it's mostly about technical shit I guess):

Ok guys, I'ma make an effort to not be overexcited, BUT, I think I'm starting to "get it", like I know I suck and shit, but for some reason these days I percieve the process of painting very diferently from how I did before. I think part of this has to do with the fact that I have started using what I used to consider "fake" effects , simple things like not rendering parts or being specially conscious on the key of stuff you're gonna render, contrast relationships, exposition, story telling and MOST IMPORTANTLY: strong silouhuettes and subtle value/hue/gradients.

All this plus being mindfull of structure and gesture and all that shit, but overall I started to try and fake it, to focus on tricking the eye in order to convey the image in my head, since to some extent, the way I visualize a scene or a character is fairly abstract, meaning that, even if I clearly can visualize shapes, colors, mood, etc. I can't really point them all out from my head in an ordered fashion, the best way I have found to translate what I visualize to what I paint is an extended use of abstraction in many parts of the painting so the brain makes up what the fuck that is, and I found it kinda works, I'll wait for your opinions on it but, I'm fairly sure this was a major factor.

Overall I think it's key to understand at which stage of a painting it goes from "promising" to "shamefull" and I am fairly certain of where the issue is as of now:

Rendering stage, that's where. If we're talking about comps or loose shit I manage to more or less convey what I'm imagining, but the moment I start detailing I generally start thinking in a "drawing" mentality and generally fuck the whole thing up, so I'll focus on trying to mantain the original mood of a painting or an image while detailing, I don't really know how I'll do it other, than paint people's faces and shit and focus on how to convey complex shapes in simple, abstract brushstrokes ( I bet it sounds a lot easier than it's gonna be).

END ( kinda) OF WALL OF TEXT

Ok, so I mostly have been doing experiments and shit, did just a couple studies, a lotta thinking and little painting or drawing.

For the studies:

A) Trying to simplify tones and shit, mostly focusing on silouhuettes:
[Image: Study001.jpg]

B)I have this book called The Compendium of Weapons Armour and Castles and it's awesome, specially cause it depicts historical weapons, armors and its uses and designs, it's filled with simple and very descriptive lineart and I decided I'ma do 2 or 3 simple armor studies every day to engrain the shapes in ma head, also material use and blah blah blah:
[Image: Armor%20study.jpg]

Now a couple of thumbnails:
[Image: thumb%20001.jpg]
[Image: Assignment%209%20thumb.jpg]

And finally the painting that opened my eyes to what I need to focus on for the next few months, and the first one I post ever that I oficially like xD:

[Image: big%20comp.jpg]

Any crits, comments or whatever you think about the topic or the flaws you see is wellcome, as usual!
I will post on your sb's soon, not today cause I gotta go running, take care peoples!

SB

Messages In This Thread
RE: || Cold Coffe || Getting serious with caffeine in my system - by Suira - 03-12-2015, 05:08 AM