Non-videogame art jobs?
Thanks...it's true.. I just get scared shitless. All I ever read about is :There are no jobs! You must be insanely good to get a job! And then when you get one, it will be low paying, you will work 12 hour days and not be happy.

And you know, I wonder, is it worth it? This month I was so excited because after years of thinking about this, honestly, ( and I would be happy in something that didn't have to do with video games, science/educational illustration or games too!), just this month I have two free months to do art to prepare for finally going back to school.

But now.. I just feel terrified that I'm making a stupid decision. I feel so terrified about it that I can barely work on art, to be honest. I feel so overwhelmed. Back when I was in high school, I *WAS* quite good at art. People always commented on it... and then in college, as I studied for my degree which I didn't actually enjoy, I looked at envy at my roommates who were art/interactive design majors..and now what?

I'm 24, and now my skills are average/mediocre at best. I need to make a decision NOW. I've been talking about this for years, honestly ,but now it hits me. Do I want to spend 3-4 years of my life and then have no job prospects? I was making good strides in my home country before moving abroad for a year to teach English, now that I'm going back... I just don't know... I am really terrified about the idea of throwing away what could be a good career in ...something else? Just get a normal job?, vs trying for this thing I really want to do and failing. and regretting it my whole life.

I'm afraid of regretting not having gone into some sort of illustration/artistic field and at the same time the even worse regret of completely screwing up my life by trying to do so. I love art but I dont want to be poor and destitute. i don't want to be stressed out and hating my life for the sake of a job.

The thing is I honestly just don't know if I could get good enough to get a job. And I don't want to spend 3 years of my life trying for the job by going to school, only to find out that I wasn't. And then be 27-28 without a career...having completely fucking up my life basically...

Anyway, thanks for the advice Madzia. I've been having panic attacks about this topic. I don't know. I guess I'm just going to try to eliminate all fears of failure from my mind and try to continue with my plan for the next two months and see how things are at the end. Make a portfolio of work and if people think I have a shot, go for it. If not, don't.

Messages In This Thread
Non-videogame art jobs? - by Fueras - 08-09-2014, 12:51 AM
RE: Non-videogame art jobs? - by Madzia - 08-09-2014, 01:44 AM
RE: Non-videogame art jobs? - by Fueras - 08-09-2014, 02:12 AM
RE: Non-videogame art jobs? - by rafa zanchetin - 08-09-2014, 02:54 AM
RE: Non-videogame art jobs? - by Fueras - 08-09-2014, 03:17 AM
RE: Non-videogame art jobs? - by Madzia - 08-09-2014, 05:37 AM
RE: Non-videogame art jobs? - by Amit Dutta - 08-09-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: Non-videogame art jobs? - by Fueras - 08-09-2014, 10:11 PM
RE: Non-videogame art jobs? - by Amit Dutta - 08-10-2014, 11:06 AM
RE: Non-videogame art jobs? - by Fueras - 08-10-2014, 10:13 PM
RE: Non-videogame art jobs? - by Amit Dutta - 08-12-2014, 07:15 PM