sam's sketchbook - a road to improvement?
Hey there, welcome to the forums! Public accountability is a powerful thing; it might be intimidating at first, but it pays off immensely in the long run. Especially with critiques and challenges to participate in!

You're doing a great job on your studies from what I see here. Most of what I could crit is more a question of repetition and experimentation rather than advice, but I do have some tips for you

Be careful with the colours in your shadows. Shadows are almost never black or lacking in colour information like that. In fact, shadows tend to be more saturated that the lit area. It's easy to run into that issue if you're working from grayscale, and colouring afterwards. There's nothing wrong with that process, but if your values aren't super tight or are too dark/light you'll get kind of muddy looking colours.

Also, when you're colouring b&w pictures, try to think in the long term. Photoshop doesn't really have an effective, single way to colour grayscale, and in my personal experience a lot of the blending modes kind of suck for colouring on their own. They can accomplish certain things, but for the most part I have found using a variety of adjustment layers and masking them to certain parts is way more effective than painting manually on a soft light layer or on any regular painting layer.

i can expand a bit more on that technical side if you want, but I hope that helps and keep on workin!

Messages In This Thread
RE: sam's sketchbook - a road to improvement? - by Patrick Gaumond - 12-16-2014, 02:48 AM