Frustrated and some questios.
There's something called the sunk-costs fallacy, and I think it applies to you in this case. You've done architecture for 4 years, so I'm assuming your going for a masters at least ie theres a few more years ahead of you (if its your last year though you might as well finish it, but if theres more ahead I would recommend not staying). From this post you clearly don't like it, and you don't feel like you're getting better at it. So tell me this, why bother finishing it if you KNOW you're not enjoying it? The fallacy I mentioned earlier references to the idea that you have to finish something just because you've invested yourself in it already, but really you're just going to waste more time by pursuing it further. Time is precious, you can't get it back. Don't waste it because you've already invested in it in the past.

Also, because you're so divided between the two fields, to the point where they're *both* suffering, you're likely going to take a lot longer to get anywhere in either one. If your plan is to become an artist, why get the architecture degree at all? You're far enough in where there will be diminishing returns in the information you can get from architecture that will apply to art, so theres no point staying for that reason. I strongly recommend choosing one and committing to it, and based on what you've written it sounds like art is the right choice for you. "A man who chases two rabbits catches neither"

I know its going to sound weird coming from me, since I'm, actually a bit younger than you, but man you're 22... you have so much time ahead of you it's ridiculous. The notion that you should already be active or should be nearing professionalism in your early years is just not true anymore. Millennials and Gen Ys are leaving the house later and later, for many reasons, chiefly because of rising costs of living and higher competition in the market. Maybe it was true 40 years ago that you should be set for life by the time your in your early 20s but its not anymore. And even if it were, you would still have a lifetime ahead of you to try different things. I know of some really talented artists only got involved in art in their late 20s and early 30s. You have plenty of time, the issue is how are you going to make it work? Its possible to get professional in 2-3 years if you're dedicated enough, and if you're willing to try different things constantly and to take peoples advice to heart, at least for a while.

Well, what I would suggest personally for you, based only off this post, is quit school if you really don't like it that much, and devote the vast majority of your free time to art (at least 80% of your free time). There are probably some companies that might give you some work here and there, but to be honest I think you need to study more and learn the fundamentals. You have a good grasp on colour, your anatomy is good for the most part and overall I think you have a solid base to jump off from. There are plenty of people here willing to help you out if you ask around for feedback and take note of their advice, and there are plenty of other groups online that will help you as well.If your family needs your contributions somehow or another, then either get a part time job and help pay for things or take up a lot more work around the house and help them out, or do what I do and help with practically everything. The last thing you want to do is come across as a lazy mooch, so if they're reluctant to let you leave school, prove them wrong. Prove to them, today, that you can and will be useful to them despite not being in school, and while learning about art. Prove to them that you are more devoted to art than to school. Prove to them that you're not enjoying your school and don't think it will be fulfilling for you. But by all means, don't ever turn it into a fight. The moment it turns into a fight, the more resistant they will become to the idea at all and the less likely you'll be to do what you want.

Messages In This Thread
Frustrated and some questios. - by Gjergji - 03-10-2015, 04:32 AM
RE: Frustrated and some questios. - by Adam Lina - 03-10-2015, 01:00 PM
RE: Frustrated and some questios. - by Patrick Gaumond - 03-10-2015, 11:02 PM
RE: Frustrated and some questios. - by Gjergji - 03-12-2015, 12:03 AM
RE: Frustrated and some questios. - by Adam Lina - 03-12-2015, 02:46 AM
RE: Frustrated and some questios. - by Farvus - 03-15-2015, 08:48 PM
RE: Frustrated and some questios. - by Amit Dutta - 03-17-2015, 06:45 AM
RE: Frustrated and some questios. - by Gjergji - 06-13-2015, 05:53 AM
RE: Frustrated and some questios. - by KurtJeremy - 06-13-2015, 07:29 PM