What makes a good self-taught artist?
A "good" self taught artist needs to be
Persistent
Passionate
Dedicated
Determined
Patient
Humble
Balanced (in life, health, exercise, social etc)
Selfless (willing to give back) and teach

That's what it takes. The what and how is totally individual to the person, and doesn't bear talking about in too much specifics. Everyone learns differently and in different orders, under different circumstances.
The only thing I will bother explaining, is the selfless bit. So often I have seen many self teachers because they have this huge task ahead of them, be totally obsessed with their own improvement and what they can get out of people in terms of technique, crit etc. Fewer take time to teach and help others with what they have learned. This is why it is always pro artists, most who went to art school, harping on about how shit it was, and how we should pay them for their teaching. F*k that. I mean sure it's good stuff technique wise but learning from someone who has done the hard path of being purely self taught themselves, would be infinitely more valuable because they really understand that side of the game. So yeah...when you feel comfortable doing it, start teaching and helping others, and you will learn even more as a result.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
What makes a good self-taught artist? - by Vompt - 05-01-2015, 02:51 AM
RE: What makes a good self-taught artist? - by Amit Dutta - 05-01-2015, 08:39 PM