What makes a good self-taught artist?
Thanks guys! Cool insight!

I've read somewhere else about something that self-taught artists do to see how they can improve their work. They are able to do so because they have developed a well trained eye to good work and they don't let this effect their self-esteem. That thing is confronting their work with the one of a professional artist. They are really self-demanding but that doesn't mean that they will constantly feel bad about themselves, they are just won't let themselves be satisfied with just ''oh, I'm just starting out, it isn't too serious that it isn't like that''. I don't know if you catch my drift but it made me have an epiphany this week.

What they would do is look at their work compared to a similar image made by a pro artist and ask themselves his images isn't as much powerful, why his image isn't rendered as good and etc. And then the next time, they raise the bar and try to do what that pro is doing in his work. These people are the ones that truly has conscience of their true level of experience but still has the confidence in their own potential. They can better themselves more than the next guy because they are lucid in their own work. That what is called ''artistic ambition''.

It's not a method or a technique but more of a way of thinking.

Always open for critiques!Thumbs_up
My Sketchbook

My Tumblr

My DA

Messages In This Thread
What makes a good self-taught artist? - by Vompt - 05-01-2015, 02:51 AM
RE: What makes a good self-taught artist? - by Vompt - 05-03-2015, 07:52 AM