Crimson CHOW #12 - Jamie: Evil Incarnate WIPS
#1. I would recommend keeping things relatively simple to start with. You are thinking in terms of an illustration and that requires a somewhat different approach to a basic character design. Not saying they can't go hand in hand, but you will have to solve way more problems than if you are only working on the character. Composition and value arrangements and thumbnailing will be more important up front.

If you are only working on the character then you can focus purely on things like the pose, the silhouette the character makes, the rhythm of the pose etc. So you can start by doing a bunch of those pretty quickly to find something that works without getting too crazy detailed.
[Image: czebNxvjFIrZxasH79TIygTxHsxPKzBFFr-jgqCm...r7hpWqDeVk]
[Image: the-skillful-huntsman-9-638.jpg?cb=1417197181]
Silhouettes are one good way of exploring shape and overall design. You can actually suggest quite a bit of the design by using black and one other gray value. You can also iterate poses quite quickly in this way to get one that works.

Since you have a general idea already, you should be gathering refs that inspire you or fit with the character and give you more specific design ideas. You can't easily make up things out of your head on demand without a really indepth visual library, and even then you can find design inspiration in non-obvious places, so you really shouldn't skip the ref gathering stage.

In terms of presentation, a straightup character design, is often presented in the most simple way. Often just the character on a plain background. This isn't a rule, just focuses on the important bit. The pose shouldn't be boring. If you can get the character involved in a scene as well, that is great (I prefer those) but it does take much more to do. Here are some examples of basic but solid designs, in naturalistic interesting poses.
[Image: Khang+Lee.jpg]  

I don't want to stop you from going on with your idea, but it seems like you might be taking on a bit too much. But if you really want to then totally do it!  You might want to try something different that combines the two, a pose where the main character is facing us holding the mirror up, so we can see the mother's face reflected in it. That way you can focus on the main character, don't have to mess with composition, but still get your idea across. Sort of like one of the ladies holding the mirrors in the image below, but arranged so the mirror doesn't obscure the character design, because after all that is the main idea here. Design

[Image: big2.jpg]

Anyways I hope that helps. Always go from the more general to the more specific. So nail shapes, rhythms, pose first. Then go onto accessories, details, expressions, materials, etc.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crimson CHOW #12 - Jamie: Evil Incarnate WIPS - by Amit Dutta - 07-25-2015, 08:27 PM