Question to Self Learners
Well, can't say a lot, but I believe everything depends on what you want to do.

I'm 18 years old, I've always had a sporty life and was almost never interested in drawing (I remember I drew a lot of eyes when I was little, and cars, but nothing more). I was interested in videogames, but I did not see the work behind them.

I always liked mechs and environment, and after a knee injury and anxiety problems, well, why don't give it a try? I think for people like me who've always thought that didn't know how to draw can be difficult, but I have the time, the will and the means to do it.

My timeline goal is, being 22 years old, being able to do decent environment (priority) and (then) armor things. I have the past experience of pure graphic design with Photoshop, which I began with maybe.. 11 y.o. Why I wouldn't be able to do it again?

And you can think "Yeah but when you are 22 yo, there will be other people who might have progressed faster/will be better at it". Yeah, ok. If they progress faster, that means the countries (at least the one I live) are beginning to take art serious. Do you know what that means? It could mean that when I get enough money I could validate my knowledge! And other people as well.

And there's always gonna be people who's better. But I'm the one who has to improve for myself.

So yeah, I think the matter with time is also the matter with your will. I don't have a plan itself now (learning the fundamentals, yes, and perspective, that's my plan :P), and at least I won't until I finish this book. Thing is, if I enjoy drawing as I did when I was a child (that HAS to be the 1st objective), I won't mind being 6 hours learning about environment, placement.. and then suddenly I'll do 10 min. of anatomy. Because it will be hard, but I'll like it. And liking it, enjoying it, does a lot.

My current education is just until before university. Here university and schools (even public ones) are pretty damn expensive. Don't come to Spain if you want to learn about art, guys... .

When I see, ie. Amit works (could be other's but whatever), I say "I'll be able to do that." And I don't think about "well maybe in one year I'm able to do it but I'll have to learn about color so..". No. Practice with an outline, a scheme. I wanna do environment, so I better understand proportion, and placement, and perspective, and also color (as I said on the chatbox I kinda know comp already). That's what I'll study for making my own skills (the ones I hope that help me to pay the food) better.

Then, in any time, I'll say "gestures". And that's not a thing that I need for environment, but as long as I'm enjoying it, I'm learning as well.

Another thing to beginners is that you have to start. You might've been collecting resources, books, tutorials, ok. And doing all that you might've lost a week. You just start. See works that you like. Make a priority system, a comfortable one. And enjoy it. And also learn to stop working, how to push yourself to work more, and what is healthy for you.

would you like me to improve? check my SKETCHBOOKKiss

Messages In This Thread
Question to Self Learners - by Zearthus - 08-14-2015, 01:50 AM
RE: Question to Self Learners - by Adam Lina - 08-14-2015, 05:11 AM
RE: Question to Self Learners - by Zearthus - 08-14-2015, 05:41 AM
RE: Question to Self Learners - by Amit Dutta - 08-14-2015, 09:02 AM
RE: Question to Self Learners - by Zearthus - 08-14-2015, 09:23 AM
RE: Question to Self Learners - by Amit Dutta - 08-14-2015, 09:50 AM
RE: Question to Self Learners - by Punk-A-Cat - 08-14-2015, 09:54 AM
RE: Question to Self Learners - by Zearthus - 08-14-2015, 10:06 AM
RE: Question to Self Learners - by Punk-A-Cat - 08-14-2015, 10:16 AM
RE: Question to Self Learners - by Amit Dutta - 08-14-2015, 10:35 AM