John's Thread (Used to be super active! Still the longest thread name ever in CD)
Just a quick drop to say, I am not dead!

Life is just crazy busy. It's that point in everyone's lives where one has to make ends meet while still trying to make this thing we all do into a semblance of a career. I've been looking for work on top of my full time graphic design gig. Making comics for next year's convention. Putting more stuff into my illustration portfolio. Doing sketches with other people, which is life saving. Not only that you get something out of it skill-wise? But there's something far more important I believe. 

Drawing with these guys, especially when these people aren't really so heavily invested in art, is one of those helpful things I did to maintain sanity. Especially when people are having fun doing it? It reminds me of why we're all here in the first place. Making things in and of itself is supposed to be awesome. Plus, it keeps my ego in check too. Not like I don't have it anymore. I mean, I catch myself getting really bummed out when I don't get enough like-y likes in social media. Bummed out to the point where I ask myself if it's even worth doing this thing I've been doing for years.

There's that feeling of being content with attempting to make cool shit. Probably lame for everyone else. Probably lame by my standards in the next 5 minutes of finishing the work. Yet I'm pretty happy that I am in that place where I'm still able to make stuff. I don't want to break my hand, go blind, get in trouble financially; all those excuses that would make me regret if I didn't draw and wasted all my able-bodied life doing absolutely nothing to push out there in the world what I'm itching to make at the moment.

Never really reflected on it til now. Kinda nice to untangle thoughts just by typing the stuff I've been dealing.

And finally, something unrelated to whatever I just wrote:
[Image: kQkykpQ.jpg]

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: John's Thread (Do not coddle and punch him right in the goolies.) - by John - 11-11-2019, 03:35 AM