Beyond 1-point perspective: How do I use this?
Yep what Ben said. Those images were taken with a wide angle lens, so there is stretching especially at the frame edge. It's not only about the number of vps or angled surfaces anymore, it's also distortion. The grid is distorted so the converging parallel lines actually curve in the picture plane. The straight guidelines you drew don't take into account that distortion, which is making things that should converge to the same horizon line, seem to go wildly off.

You cannot draw a scene with realistic perspective really, it is all just an approximation. For me personally I find I use 2 and 3 point perspective (3 most frequently) for environment work. 2 for flatter scenes, and 3 for scenes that require a sense of a pov looking up or down. It totally depends on the needs of the scene.
I almost never use curvilinear perspective (4 pt). If you need a bit of distortion you can simulate it with lens effects after the fact, a little bit to fake it. It isn't something I have used a lot myself or would recommend doing until you know what you are doing, because it can make large edits afterwards a nightmare.

In terms of setup, I do tend to pick vps and work off one grid based on what I imagine is going to work best for the majority of the objects in the scene or what is best for the focal interest in the scene, be it a building or something else. That way I know at least the main thing will be sorted during quick thumbnailing.Then if you want to draw other surfaces or objects that are rotated at some angle to the grid, and therefore converging to different vps, those have to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Beyond 1-point perspective: How do I use this? - by Amit Dutta - 02-23-2016, 11:56 PM