CC2 WIP Hobitts depository of cosmic horrors
Hey Hobitt! gonna try and do a some crits on the crucible entries starting with you - so here it goes

- You put too much time into some of the wrong things(only 'wrong' because it pulls too much attention from whats going on), the background is all very sharp and detailed, and the hunter is hardly noticeable. That's not to say detailing things out is bad, you can totally do it and it could look awesome, but you'd have to have your focals even further rendered then the background, can't be a fight for attention.

- His placement in the image also makes things feel very flat, it doesn't really pull you into the illustration. 

- The light wave in the corner grabs far too bright and pulls too much attention.

Here's a paintover and red line for where the focals would be. tried to tailor things to make rhythmic leading and framing lines. You already did a good job on making the priest dudes looking at the focals!

And the paintover without -

Basically I changed the guys placement, so it looks like he's not just walking in from the side but from closer to us. You could even do it quite a bit more for a more dramatic effect. painted in darker darks and lighter lights on the monster establishing him as the main focus. I cropped the image a bit as well. 

Anyway I really like the concept, definitely has potential! Just gotta figure what the image is about, what the focus is and put the most work into those places :)

Sketchbook ▲  Website ▲ TwitterArtStation ▲ Twitch ▲

Messages In This Thread
RE: CC2 WIP Hobitts depository of cosmic horrors - by Jonesoda - 04-24-2016, 09:58 AM