Starting having work- Please help
Maan, no need for the formalities or gratitude! I am more than happy to share.

The way Feng Zhu put the concept art world into perspective had me realize what I've known was far from the truth. God bless that man for pulling the curtains down to show the harsh reality of the business! I can't even fathom designing a thousand things in my entire lifetime!

Anyway, to gigs!

I had local portrait gigs I got from Facebook which I had to turn down because the money was too low. Waay too low. I was charging roughly $10-12 USD per head. Sadly, there's a lot of people out there in the would happily take that gig for less.

There's another gig I turned down, that actually paid quite well (I forgot the figures). The reason I turned it down was because it was I think 30-50 line art illustrations in a month. That was 30-50 pieces, not counting the inevitable revisions. And back then, I worked like a goddamn turtle that had just survived a stroke.

Another gig I turned down was card illustration for a local client. Again, I got that work from Facebook. I turned it down for lots of reasons, but the main thing that kept me away from that gig was: no actual funding for the project. Huge red flag.

You know what pays? Making business cards, logos, brochures, package design and other graphic design-y stuff: "You're an artist right? Can you make me a nice looking business card?". That is why I have so much respect for the graphic design people, because I can't handle that job day in and day out. It's maddening frank quitely.

Regardless of the horror stories, Facebook is really a good platform to get your name out there. You won't get any success stories from me, but some of our local artists can attest they get some of their commissions through Facebook!

By the way, how's work coming along Rick?

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-20-2016, 01:28 AM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-20-2016, 06:14 AM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by devinn - 04-20-2016, 07:53 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-20-2016, 09:34 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-21-2016, 06:39 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-26-2016, 03:27 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-26-2016, 07:07 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 04-27-2016, 07:59 PM
RE: Starting having work- Please help - by John - 05-05-2016, 03:15 AM