JP - Just want to learn to draw.
@Abnormal: I really like your figure studies. They are dynamic and loose, and I think sketching loosely when you are doing gestures and quick figure studies is yields looser drawings. I think a lot of people have a problem with stiffness i their poses when drawing the figure. I think Fedodika mentioned already about your line work. I think your lines should feel looser and more free flowing and less sketchy, although I still like the sketchiness of the drawings.

I like your still life studies as well, but I think the perspective and composition needs some work. I noticed that several of the studies are really close up. I think you should "pull the camera" back a bit as it will make for a more pleasing composition.

You are clearly working hard here and I admire that. I would love to have your discipline, but after a long, tiring day at work, and at least a 90 minute commute round trip, but all the other responsibilities I have to tend to in a day, I have little time for studying. But I don't let that stop me. I just wish I could be a prolific with my studies as you. Are your figure studies based off of a particular artist like Bridgman? As long as you are not just copying drawings out of a book, and you are analyzing what you have drawn afterward, I think the studies are worthwhile. Personally, I never understood why some artists feel the need to copy entire books of Loomis or Hampton or Bridgman. I suppose if you are analyzing the studies it might have some value. I think it is better to maybe copy a few of the drawings and then, using reference, do studies of your own in the same style. Anyway, that's just my opinion of course.

Nice stuff. I think you should continue with what you are doing and try to clean up your work a bit, consider the composition of your still lives, and study some perspective, but you are already doing a good job here.

Messages In This Thread
JP - Just want to learn to draw. - by Abnormal - 05-26-2016, 11:51 AM
RE: JP - Just want to learn to draw. - by yanjiu - 11-29-2019, 04:57 PM
RE: JP - Just want to learn to draw. - by Kimonas - 03-16-2017, 06:07 AM
RE: JP - Just want to learn to draw. - by Bookend - 04-16-2017, 11:37 AM
RE: JP - Just want to learn to draw. - by tinDeer - 06-20-2017, 06:36 AM
RE: JP - Just want to learn to draw. - by John - 07-13-2017, 12:49 AM
RE: JP - Just want to learn to draw. - by Shinkasuru - 11-03-2018, 10:36 AM
RE: JP - Just want to learn to draw. - by Joe - 12-01-2018, 08:09 PM
RE: JP - Just want to learn to draw. - by Leo Ki - 10-04-2019, 01:16 PM