Harsh Crits Needed & Help Me Tell the Story
(05-27-2016, 03:13 PM)Amit Dutta Wrote: I like the rendering, it's heading in a nice painterly direction. Almost has a Klimt vibe.
I have an issue with her pose, it is pretty odd. If she is really sleeping, why is she posed like a kind of contorted sex doll?  There is a lot of overly sexualised content out there...it gets a bit boring after a while to see this used for little reason, unless it is handled in new or a classy way. I know Freja is the goddess of love, sex, fertility etc so the context is there for sure to sexualise stuff, but it doesn't make this particular pose any less odd.

To continue the sex doll analogy, her lower half does actually seem like it is a mannequin's rather than a real person, probably because of the hard lines and  the way you have handled the ankle and hip / thigh joint areas. The feet could do with more anatomy love.

I think the elements are all in place to get the narrative out relatively clearly, but for me personally it's just that pose man.
Thanks for the crit! Definitely the idea was to play on the sexual side of Freyja (she supposedly paid for the necklace with sex, after all!) but I'll see how I can rework the legs, and maybe do some leg and foot studies before settling on new posing for the bottom half. To be honest, I'm not totally enamoured with the arm posing either...but I'm not sure I can bring myself to totally repaint the figure.

-   Sketchbook   - 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harsh Crits Needed & Help Me Tell the Story - by BadWoolf - 05-28-2016, 05:06 AM