Creature and Character design study program help me out
I agree with Adam. While it is good to feel prepared, the reality is, nothing will go the way you think, that's how learning this stuff works.

Your Term 1 makes no sense. Don't start with "personal sketching" whatever that is and please please please don't start with digital manipulation for the love of your future self.

Learn to draw.

If you are serious, the main thing to focus on is fundamentals first, so as Adam said, start with basic perspective drawing. Move onto form and value, then look at construction and proportion for figures, add anatomy focus as you go. Once you have those going you can start to do more justice to any designs you try and execute. I have seen you do some constructive work in your sketchbook, but honestly, you need to learn to draw 3d form properly, so I would say that is your first challenge.

Your list of numbers of hours per topic etc is totally arbitrary because it doesn't really mean much until you get started and see how many hours you can actually do. It's not even about the hours, forget those, it's just a grandiose number. Just know it will have to be lots over your learning phase!.

You mentioned not wanting to be in a comfort zone, but I would suggest your comfort zone is over planning and not enough practicing. Instead of planning out 6 "terms" of work, plan out 6 days, or 6 weeks, and stick to that more achievable goal. Then do it again.

I have seen you around CD sporadically for quite some time now and while Adam was a little blunt, he was on the money. Now don't take the following the wrong way, but I think it might drive the point home. We started posting on CD almost around the same time (I joined a year before I did anything really) In that time I have become a professional fulltime freelance artist, but you are still debating with yourself how to go forward. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, or make me feel good about myself, because I know that everyone has different circumstances to deal with, but it demonstrates what starting and consistently doing the work needed can achieve.

I applaud you starting another deathline and drawing the line in the sand, but I would make this deathline thread much much simpler. Time to swap doing all this "research", and gathering you've had and start filling up your sketchbook Today! Then do it tomorrow, then the next day, and the next. This should be your deathline: "Consistently drawing every day for at least 6 weeks" break that down into what you will focus on (perspective and form) Done.

Remember we are all gonna be here to help and support if you need, and that includes honest if hard truths!

Good luck man!!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta

Messages In This Thread
RE: Creature and Character design study program help me out - by Amit Dutta - 06-17-2016, 01:38 PM