How on earth do you get jobs?
You're gonna want an answer from a professional, and I'm not yet professional. But I've been researching this for a long time, and the gist of how to get FREELANCE (not sure about studio work) is:

- Have an awesome portfolio. (Not just great art, but a good website that's quick and easy to navigate, with immediate access to your email address)

- Make a list of art directors (ADs) - look at artists who do the kind of work that you want to do - What clients do they work for? Some clients have general submission email addresses, but others have direct email addresses for individual ADs. Really think about which of these ADs will be interested in your work: it has to be the appropriate genre, and of a quality which seamlessly fits in with the other art that you've seen the client using.

- Gather relevant contact details for those art directors. Email addresses will be the easiest to find. A physical address will allow you to do some more unique marketing via post, which might be even more effective at getting attention (ADs are flooded with emails).

- Send out emails. You may not hear back from most art directors, so you'll want to contact as many as are relevant. But DON'T just copy/paste the same email or send to 50 people at once. Instead, write an email for each AD which is short (remember how valuable their time is), polite, links to your portfolio (this is essential!) and if possible, has a short statement about why you want to work for them specifically - this shows that you have some knowledge of their brand.

-Wait for responses.

-What if responses never back? Either you're contacting the wrong people or the art isn't up to standard.

- You can contact the same art directors when your art has improved, but wait a few months. They don't want to be spammed.

- ALSO Attend events in person and network. With artists, wtih students, with ADs, whoever. Be part of the community and it will work in your favour.

- Make sure you know about contracts and practicalities of how it works when you actually get a job - check out www.artpact.com (it's now free)

For more:
-Check out Noah Bradley's advice. He's very savvy about the business side of illustration.
-Check out http://businessofillustration.com/buildi...tact-list/
- https://illustrationage.com/adcontacts/

Anyway, that's what I know from my research, but I'm not yet working in the industry, so feel free to take it with a pinch of salt.

-   Sketchbook   - 

Messages In This Thread
How on earth do you get jobs? - by Vicianus - 07-01-2016, 11:05 AM
RE: How on earth do you get jobs? - by BadWoolf - 07-01-2016, 11:35 AM
RE: How on earth do you get jobs? - by BadWoolf - 07-01-2016, 11:42 AM
RE: How on earth do you get jobs? - by Amit Dutta - 07-01-2016, 05:03 PM