2016 personal project Challenge: memory lane
 Joining the challenge, as soon as Jan chose to extend the duration.

MOODBOARD
I took photos at the Budapest Tropicarium and Zoo (might attach more images later). As soon as the tigers and cougars were rather far from the view, the photos are too bad to show, but I used my own cat to get better ones. Also I wasn't able to film the bats cause it was too dark for my camera.  I also filmed some  videos, so this moodboard is not all what I have but it gives an idea thereof.
For now, I study a ton of animal anatomy. Main resources are Atlas of animal anatomy by Ellenberger and Baum, The Artist's guide to animal anatomy by Baum, and I might use Art of animal drawing by Hultgren. If I google, I only use reliable resources of real animal anatomy (like this https://comparativeanatomy.wikispaces.co...uscles.pdf, no ready dragon anatomy solutions.

STORY
My recent submissions are part of some bigger project I'm working on. Remember my interspace market from CC5? There is a creature department there, and particularly a dragon pavilion. Some info on the dragon I chose to design:

Dragon lacertus felis (Dalf)
Dalf is a rather small dragon, average grown-up male 1,8 m long. Originally from planet <no name yet>, adapts best on planets with moderate, warm and hot climate. Cold is hard to bear for dalfs, although not as severe as for lizards, so please avoid letting them out in case of temperature is lower than -5 C or purchase our special dalf clothes and warming spheres. Dalfs prefer meat diet. In nature, they mostly consume small animals and birds. Although in need dalfs may be pretty much omnivorous.
Dalfs are unwilling to obey and hard to train, but once the creature ensures your respectful attitude and friendliness, it becomes your faithful and reliable partner. 
In nature, dalfs are born hunters.Slender and compact, these creatures were used at wars as spy companions. Chameleon skin and paw balls allows perfect stealth. Dalfs are good flyers and tree climbers. There were cases when Dalfs protected soldiers on their backs from arrows with their lower throat, which expands like shield in case of danger (Like bearded lizard's) Although, learning  to fly on a dalf’s horny back, let alone training it, used to take several years. 
Nowadays, they are mostly kept as adorable pets. 

BRIEF 
Design a dragon concept. The dragon shall be based based on feline, lizard and bat/bird anatomy. 
  1. Show skeletal and muscular structure (side, front, top views)  - 6 images, of which at least side views should be rendered enough to be presentable at client's corporate meetings :) Also be prepared to explain to the 3d animation team how those bones and muscles function/
  2. Show several ideas of skin, color and texture on the side view (at least 3 versions for the client to choose the best)
  3. Create a rendered image  of the dragon, 3/4 view on neutral background
  4. Additional task: Create a 3d model (to be made more specific after 2d image is complete, as the client is unsure about the requirements yet).
DEADLINE
1 - August 29th
2 - September 02
3 - September 12 (+1 day for polishing the skeleton and musculature side views, because I might tweak the anatomy a bit while further designing process)
4 - to be specified after the 2d image is complete

Messages In This Thread
RE: Summer Challenge: memory lane - by Jan Kloidt - 08-02-2016, 12:46 AM
RE: Summer Challenge: memory lane - by Prabu - 08-02-2016, 04:30 AM
RE: Summer Challenge: memory lane - by Jan Kloidt - 08-11-2016, 12:53 AM
RE: Summer Challenge: memory lane - by Eyliana - 08-11-2016, 06:51 AM
RE: Summer Challenge: memory lane - by smrr - 08-16-2016, 09:28 PM
RE: Summer Challenge: memory lane - by Jan Kloidt - 08-22-2016, 03:17 AM
RE: Summer Challenge: memory lane - by Eyliana - 08-23-2016, 06:03 AM
RE: Summer Challenge: memory lane - by neopatogen - 08-26-2016, 12:56 AM
RE: Summer Challenge: memory lane - by neopatogen - 08-26-2016, 01:36 AM