Manoela's Sketchbook (and journal?)
I can empathise with how you feel about self evaluation. I used to get very frustrated and would often have this sense of confusion or hopelessness about how I'd improve.

I think one reason a lot of people get frustrated or depressed about evaluating their own work is that they do not have an appropriate vocabulary to do so. When it is difficult to identify and describe aspects of a drawing or painting, you often end up looking at it and all that comes to mind is "bad" or some variation of it. This mountain of skill you're climbing becomes shrouded in a fog of vague descriptions and it becomes difficult to know where to climb or the path to move upwards, sometimes all you can do is to just hang on for dear life.

I think what you might want to do is to try and develop a form of clarity in your "artistic vocabulary" so you can properly describe your work and then through that, identify very specific aspects of it that could have been improved and how to do so. If you need any help with this, let me know ^^

Discord - JetJaguar#8954

Messages In This Thread
RE: Manoela's Sketchbook (and journal?) - by Tristan Berndt - 08-16-2016, 11:05 PM