Manoela's Sketchbook (and journal?)
Hello Tristan! I think your vision of the problem of self doubt is amazing and so is the metaphor you used! It is truly easier for us as human begins to deal with what we know, and therefore, what we can name. Thinking about that now, the moments I feel more frustrated are the ones where I tell myself: ALL of that is terrible! NONE of this is good enough! Generalisation is a dangeerous step to go on these moments, and it surely can feel like a fog preventing us from seeing what's really going on. Next time I feel like that, I'll try my best to name my problems and dificulties into simple and specific therms.

Right now, while I'm feeling more relaxed and confident, I can tell what I guess I'm doing right is: composition, specialy with landscapes, storytelling and colors. These are things I love to study and that I'm been hired for many times, so I can only assume the study IS in fact showing. Hurray! What I'm generaly working on when I start to feel those self destructive doubts ( I'll try to remember as best as I can): characters, mainly when they are big, bulky and hav huge armors (I love to paint historical armors, but the Blizzard-like style kicks me to the ground everytime) and expressive faces and gestures.
I love to dance and capture dancing movements with drawings, so basically every single characters of mine looks like it's dancing, which is nice when I'm painting magical girls and swirling magic, but when it comes to portray a huge fullplated warrior, I kinda freeze! I've taken gesture drawing classes for years and I did love it, but I guess I like drawing naked people in languid poses more than I can handle warriors with huge hammers.

Phew! That was a lot of talking, sorry for that! Anton, thank you for your comment, yeah it can be quite hard to know the time to stop and call a painting donne. I'm trying to get back to community so that I can have some feedback and us this inner criticism to my advantage (this lil monster gets crazy when it's left alone!)
Thank you so much for your feedback and incredible discussion!

PS.: How do I tag ppl here? LOL

Messages In This Thread
RE: Manoela's Sketchbook (and journal?) - by ManoelaCosta - 08-17-2016, 09:17 AM