Welp... here we go.
Hey African Voodoo,

Your post reminded me of me. This will sound ridiculous.

I started out trying to get into the comic book industry. I was into it thinking my art will beat everyone out there. With it, fan following, adoration, and occasional signing of boobies. I kept saying to myself that one day, I will be one of the locals, the best one in fact, to get his name at an international level.

I came across a local comic book artist (who works for the big two comic book industry), who pointed out to me that if those are the things I wanted out of myself in art, better quit while I'm ahead and go do something else that will get me there quicker. Harsh reality is, as you may have already heard before, the art game is tough. And me using the word 'tough' would still insufficiently describe how insanely difficult it is.

This is not to discourage you to go for your goals, but maybe present you with a little bit of perspective. There should be a certain balance between doing work as a job (catering to other people's taste), and doing work as a hobby (catering to your own discretion). Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and it seems, judging by your intro, that you have a glimpse of how torturous it would be to do commercial work!

Maybe it's better to think about the former later in life, because people tend to forget the latter when they're in the trenches for so long! I think you'll get it when you realize that art is the thing you really want to do in life. Not the glitter and gold that's presumably at the end of the road, but loving the road itself. You sound so young and what you're doing right now is probably the best thing you can do with the art you're making, which is to enjoy just making them. You have no idea how many artists lose sight of that.

Well, no sense of welcoming you since you've been at this for quite some time now! So see you around more often then?

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
Welp... here we go. - by AfricanVoodoo - 12-30-2016, 09:37 AM
RE: Welp... here we go. - by Artloader - 12-30-2016, 10:22 PM
RE: Welp... here we go. - by AfricanVoodoo - 12-30-2016, 11:21 PM
RE: Welp... here we go. - by John - 12-31-2016, 02:39 PM
RE: Welp... here we go. - by AfricanVoodoo - 01-01-2017, 01:56 AM
RE: Welp... here we go. - by John - 01-01-2017, 02:45 AM
RE: Welp... here we go. - by AfricanVoodoo - 01-01-2017, 08:25 AM
RE: Welp... here we go. - by gregorkari - 01-18-2017, 01:58 AM