What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook)
Thanks Jonesoda!

So I'm pretty thirsty to win that golden boy. Damn thirsty. I mean, i feel like since i spent 3 years of my life learning about learning, I gotta put that to good use and be good at learning right? So its time I stop just saying "i do so many studies, gotta do some imaginative stuff", and "damn wish I had as good pencils as everyone else" and fix what i see as my 2 biggest issues right now.

So this is what I'm working on this month, minimum 4 illustrations before the month is over, and do almost all studies in pencil. I already hid away all the erasers too, so time to get that line quality.

Here's the studies before the golden call went out.

[Image: 0112PracticeSketches030912.jpg]
[Image: 0113PracticeSketches050912.jpg]
[Image: 0114PracticeSketches080912.jpg]

First 2 illustrations I got cooking; I decided on fan art so the problems i tackle are far less design focused, an issue i would like to deal with separately to make it a tiny bit easier on me. I already learned a bunch, like how i don't have to ability to work with any efficiency without a good line drawing yet, but the difficulty of concentrating is almost like when I first started doing art. I feel like this is a good thing, because clearly it means this is where i really improve, not lazing about doing a still life I hardly concentrated on. At least it better be because this is killing me.

[Image: dssketching.jpg]
[Image: dotasketchin.jpg]
[Image: dotawip1.jpg]

So i need help with this dark souls one. I originally planned to do some kind of cool lighting scheme, but I think this warm light from the window works better. Also the 'story' isn't coming across as well as I want. The guy with the sword in the foreground is supposed to be ambushing the hooded guy, but i think i failed to pull it off. Any suggestions would be nice, i don't know if i should just remove him all together and put somthing else there like a blank wall :(

[Image: darksoulswip1.jpg]
[Image: darksoulswip2.jpg]
[Image: darksoulswip3.jpg]

I promise the next image i do won't be a low angle shot. It's just so easy to get a nice big triangle comp going though and make all the poses ultra dynamic even though they don't have to do anything xD.

So for the pencil stuff, i will save it all for golden boy submission. I don't think i could handle charging my camera every week.

As a small side thing, a big 'teacher' in my mental development is a man called day9, who teaches Starcraft on a web show. I owe a lot to what he taught, and looked up the show again in my procrastination from doing the hard work this week. I found he made some video outlining some of the main philosophies and lessons i gained playing starcraft competitively, and if anyone interested i highly recommend listening while drawing or something.

http://day9.tv/d/Day9/day9-daily-400-spe...sumptions/

At the very least, you might be less puzzled if i mention how much I think painting is like street fighter and starcraft.

See you next week, thanks for reading if you did, go for gold everyone!

Messages In This Thread
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt today (Sketchbook) - by KyleScary - 04-27-2012, 02:15 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by stace - 07-16-2012, 08:25 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by FOERVRAENGD - 07-23-2012, 10:30 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by ImSkeptical - 09-11-2012, 12:37 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by DanilleG - 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by kevin - 09-12-2012, 12:38 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by deerandfox - 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by Fännek - 10-22-2012, 10:27 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by Fei Ou - 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by kaikaisushi - 04-16-2013, 02:25 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by Brawk - 07-12-2013, 03:57 AM