What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook)
JakeB - Thanks dude, same to you. You've been getting steadily better since Dan's mentoring, good to see you keeping up the hard work!

MonoOrder - Thanks man, means a lot to hear! Hopefully you don't rethink it too hard though, because its better to work too hard and not think enough, than to think too hard and not work enough xD. Not that thinking doesn't help immensly... :D

--------------------------------------

So here's week. First off, things i'm going to tell you about and not show xD. I've started doing heaps of pencil stuff nowadays, mostly memory stuff. I find its helping me concentrate on forms and drawing a little better. Mostly its studying Kim Jung Gi's sketches, you can buy his 2007? sketchbook on ipad, and its amazing, im pretty sure i've mentioned it before. Really concentrating on handling of drapery and detail. Not showing because i'm to lazy to photo and upload. Secondly, is relearning anatomy. Approaching by a lot of labeling skeletons and painting echroche's on top of photos. To prove i'm putting in work, achromium process, anubrium, anterior superiror illiac spine, femur, were things i was having trouble with, but I just wrote them down there from memory. Yes i didn't know what the femur was called :(. Not posting, because i'm not proud of, and don't want to encourage the methods of getting high quality education for free. Totally unrelated to that, support this man http://www.scott-eaton.com/ , he has an excellent anatomy course and I have purchased his anatomy app many months ago on the ipad and it is extremely helpful.

So here's the stuff I will show.

[Image: 0205---PracticeSketches11042013_zps1d07e1e7.jpg]

Some more figures testing workflows for sketches

[Image: 0202---PracticeSketches09042013_zps6976913a.jpg]

Self-portrait I did on a whim. I was actually disappointed when it zoomed way out, some of the values round the mouth merge together and it looks weird. Makes it a less than ideal facebook profile pic but it'll be awhile before i bother to change it.

[Image: 0203---PracticeSketches10042013_zps567fafed.jpg]
[Image: 0204---PracticeSketches11042013_zpsd13bfd14.jpg]
[Image: 0206---PracticeSketches13042013_zps097e048f.jpg]

15 minute color studies. I find the time limit quite meditative, its sometimes way longer and sometimes way shorter than I expect. At any rate, I'm amazed it took me this long to find this director. If you can recognize it already, congrats :D, but for everyone else its Makoto Shinkai, and the anime movie i did the studies from is called Byousoku 5 Centimeter. I've seen a few of his works now, and they are all visual amazement for my personal tastes. Every single light effect is exaggerated, bloom, lense flare, color bleed, and his palette is almost designed to maximize temperature contrast. Looking at my Aria fanart, its pretty much what I was trying to accomplish unknowingly. So yeah, it would defiantly not be a waste of time to check him out.

[Image: CharacterFinal160413_zps341b2854.jpg]

Finished with this for portfolio. Hopefully i can finally get some work off it. I think i really just need to work on sending out more emails? I sent out a bunch, but I'm thinking I just don't realize the amount of work i need to put in in not doing work to get work.

That's all this week, thanks for looking/reading if you did, see ya next week.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt today (Sketchbook) - by KyleScary - 04-27-2012, 02:15 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by stace - 07-16-2012, 08:25 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by FOERVRAENGD - 07-23-2012, 10:30 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by DanilleG - 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by kevin - 09-12-2012, 12:38 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by deerandfox - 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by Fännek - 10-22-2012, 10:27 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by Fei Ou - 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by ImSkeptical - 04-16-2013, 01:58 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by kaikaisushi - 04-16-2013, 02:25 AM
RE: What ImSkeptical learnt this week (Sketchbook) - by Brawk - 07-12-2013, 03:57 AM