Poll: Is art school worth it for concept art?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
12.50%
1 12.50%
Depends on current funds
25.00%
2 25.00%
Depends on the art school
62.50%
5 62.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Your opinions on Art schools
I actually know two classmates who have their own blog and keep updates on their experience...sort of. Really nice, but I'm but sure if I am ready to integrate a blog into my life just yet. I have a few other plans that I'm working on at the moment and getting them together is already a bit overwhelming and this will last for a few months. Adding a blog means I'll need to dedicate time to reflect and refine what I post, which simply is too time consuming, sadly, especially if I'm going to post in depth blogs that are meaningful and answer questions.

I'll consider a blog in the future though, so their for the suggestion. Never thought about it before. All I need is a new portfolio and living less of an night owl life so I can pretend that my life is together in one piece!

This classmate has two very short posts on Syn. She is also a mother with a little child so of course she is much busier than me. ^_^

https://tatitung.com/2017/03/13/learning-watercolor-finally/

The other classmate hasn't updated his blog in a long time and it currently doesn't have anything related to Syn at the moment.

I wanted to host a hangout every Wednesday as I have that day off... Until next school term, which will start in April. Unfortunately my internet keeps breaking up and during my few weeks of experimenting, it is absolutely unusable. I'm getting some WiFi extenders to see if the problem will be solved. If it works, then you may catch me online streaming so I am more than happy to talk about these things.

-------------------------

Amit Dutta
   from what i have seen of the student work tends to have all very similar vibes even if stylistically different.

Having followed people who graduated from FZD years ago, it isn't actually that hard to see them start to vary very quickly once they are on their own. Some of them have developed very nice, iconic styles and presentation outside the typical "FZD format" that you often see students do.

I think it's just because for a full year, the students are cramming to do the exact same exercises, to learn the exact same tools, as quick as possible. As a result, because the pressure doesn't give them much room to add variety to things that are not as visually important in terms of presenting a basic design (for students that may have only drawn seriously for a year). I kinda have the same problem right now, where a teacher I had for 4 classes basically drilled a very boring, static way of rendering with cross-hatching. Very fast and effective, I just hate the look and many classmates have mentioned the same. Because of the muscle memory, doing otherwise requires that I fight my arms a bit and slows me down considerably and messes up with precision. However, it is so fast in indicating quick forms, and in this teacher's class, speed is a major requirement as you need to draw so much. Some off time to refine one's tools to suit themselves is a definite requirement!

For some examples of this "style" that the teacher taught us to draw in, you can look at David Levine's works. Now, I have such a hard time drawing curved cross-contour lines for rendering even though I desperately need to vary my lines for illustrative purposes... ;w;

Messages In This Thread
Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-15-2017, 09:28 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Amit Dutta - 03-15-2017, 07:27 PM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-18-2017, 06:24 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Amit Dutta - 03-18-2017, 10:25 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-20-2017, 01:46 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by someguy216 - 03-25-2017, 05:48 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Amit Dutta - 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Orange Pekoe - 03-20-2017, 10:55 AM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Amit Dutta - 03-20-2017, 01:06 PM
RE: Your opinions on Art schools - by Bookend - 04-17-2017, 10:37 AM