[UK] Art school: is it worth it?
Quote:I'm just finding it hard to fathom how I'm going to leave the nest. I don't want to be stuck in my parents house for another 5 years. I guess it's just a 'growing up' thing. Do you guys have day jobs you use to pay off the rent? I want to move out as soon as I can.

Take my advice.. stay at home as long as you can. If you do choose to leave home and rent you're going to (most likely) end up working a full or part time job just to cover everyday living. You'll get into a cycle where money becomes more important than art, and even though you want to eventually make money off art, you wont be able to improve cause you simply wont have the time needed to buckle down. It's a shitty cycle you'll get stuck in that just keeps prolonging your art career.

I'm privileged in the fact that I still live at home, and only have to work a causal job (like 10 hours a week) so I can literally spend over 40 hours a week on improving art. 

My real life art friends on the other hand live out of home and they are struggling. One of them has to juggle multiple freelance gigs just to survive. The other works in retail and basically has to pick between; being poor and depressed but able to make art; or, being stuck at work and slightly happier cause of the money but equally depressed because of no art.

It may seem like it'll be easy being poor for a while because you get to do art. But in reality, it's pretty depressing struggling with no money. 

A lot of people would kill to be able to have stayed at home and been given a pretty sweet ride. Take advantage of it while you can.

Messages In This Thread
[UK] Art school: is it worth it? - by Schwing - 07-19-2017, 04:29 AM
RE: [UK] Art school: is it worth it? - by Schwing - 07-21-2017, 07:24 AM
RE: [UK] Art school: is it worth it? - by chubbycat - 07-21-2017, 12:01 PM