Freelancing vs studio work
Quote:The biggest con with freelance work is that you ALWAYS have to be looking for the next project. Otherwise you'll be finding yourself without work very quickly.

In most cases that is true.

I know a local artist who put his clients on a retainer. Lucky for him there will be cash flowing even if there weren't any projects. Probably a rarity. But hopefully realize that you can do that.

Quote:Also, you have to be very careful with contracts in freelancing.

Speaking of contracts. Freelancers check this out: https://www.artpact.com/

Quote:I want to make comic books. So working for a label is a must. It's more secure and stable but you probably just get put on dumb projects that never get finished until you rise up and get some say am I right?

The big two, Marvel and DC, rates are good. Especially when you live in a country where dollars is stronger against the local currency. But then again, it's hard to break into those two companies since they only hire veterans. To trim the fat further, the top echelon of veterans who are pretty much established in the comic book industry.

Sad to say, you got to work on projects outside of those big companies, before you can even get in. But if you're really that good, got a good online following, and if you can manage to carve a niche market for yourself, you might want to try your luck in doing a Kickstarter.

Quote:I'd like to know the pros and cons of freelancing and working for studios.

Studio
+ Steady income
+/- You'd be surrounded with artists. OR, at the very least, people.
+ Whom you can learn from
+ Generally benefits would get you covered on dental/medical care
+ Some would handle your tax papers for you.
- Company politics

Freelance
+ Control of your time
- Constant searching for jobs
- Self market and promote

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
Freelancing vs studio work - by Schwing - 07-19-2017, 04:41 AM
RE: Freelancing vs studio work - by chubbycat - 07-20-2017, 10:59 AM
RE: Freelancing vs studio work - by Schwing - 07-21-2017, 06:45 AM
RE: Freelancing vs studio work - by John - 07-23-2017, 01:06 AM
RE: Freelancing vs studio work - by Amit Dutta - 07-27-2017, 06:43 PM