MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again
(01-25-2019, 08:32 AM)Amit Dutta Wrote: Last thing I will ever say on this, but training accuracy is important. It's not everything but it is esp. Important for beginners or people who can't draw even close to what they see for their lives.
If you can see a difference between your study and the reference then you can measure how off you are. If you can measure how off you are you can correct proportions or any other aspect in your drawings. Often what happens is we CAN'T see the difference with any accuracy even though they exist...this is why measuring and correcting drawing as you go is uber important.

Absolutely zero point spending lots of time on them if you don't try your best to actually fix them. (Maybe you are...i dont know...but it seems like you just let yourself off the hook every time)
This is same reason doing multiple shitty pre drawings for your portraits to test where you might go wrong is really ass backwards. Instead of aiming to get it wrong, aim to get them all right as you can. Multiple studies are definitely good but not if you half ass the main point of them so much.

I see you still cannot draw a basic straight freehand line 1.5yrs down the line. Every single form is wonky and skewed yet you don't seem to fix these and allow yourself to carry on this lazy approach, study after study. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad or wind you up tighter than you already are...but this is a reality you should probably face now.

You could also use a pencil or use different grades that goes darker with a fuller value range. Your drawings all are very light in the shadows

Here's same study from a guy I know doing watts online for a few months. https://www.instagram.com/p/BrTu0VJDnwO/...lk8zxn4e0o

Watts has some great structured exercises...but it's also how you approach them in mindset that matters..Not simply doing mileage for the sake of it.  Repeat these basics until you can hold yourself to account better and pull them off well imo.
Believe me, I've been putting all my effort into being accurate. I have trouble measuring angles and sizes. It's really driving me insane. After several hours (with breaks) I just get tired of looking at my work and realizing I've been making things worse.

At the moment I'm using cheap pencils marked "2HB" on them. I'm also using some inexpensive mechanical pencils. I'm not pressing down as hard as I could be because I'm afraid of making things impossible to erase. I have an issue where if I go too dark I can't seem to erase back out of it. The eraser I use just smears the graphite on the paper.

(01-25-2019, 10:55 AM)darktiste Wrote: It something hard to see detail that evade your understanding.It can be bad angle bad proportion bad lighting bad anatomy bad perspective the list goes on.If you can't spot error it almost impossible to improve.No amount of drawing can improve your observation you have to be conscious of the rule your breaking.This is why you need to make error and other to explain to you the error you make but that not enough because you rely on other to see them for you what you need is to understand .Why you did break them this mean being able to learn theory and apply that theory correctly.

For example on those cylinder you just drew you made a common error newbie does you want to show to much of the ellipse on top and you have problem estimating the degre of the bottom ellipse.You also draw you ellipse in the shape of egg rather then being correct ellipse.Sadly ellipse are a rather hard subject for beginner it not easy to explain because it mix perspective and accuracy and it best if you understand how to properly construct box in perspective first before you try to approch learning how to do cylinder.

Accuracy is more important than a finish drawing because without accuracy you cannot produce quality work.Without the knowledge of fundamental art rule you are limited to copying and relying on reference to much.

Don't get discouraged by the harsh word you receive the compliment won't come without hard work everyone would like to be a genius and draw well without effort.The ''genius'' are only gifted if there can listen to advice and figure out how to come us those advice in a constructive way. Listining isn't enough you have to understand why the critic was constructive.
I've been working on my accuracy as best I can. I'm still attempting to improve as best I can.

Oh, I'm not discouraged by harsh words. I'm just so tired of compliments. Back when I was in college it was impossible to get any critique. The only thing people would do is tell each other how much they liked their work. I hated that so much.
Even begging people to find flaws with my work didn't work, so I'm grateful to anyone showing me where I'm going wrong.

I redid all of the Watts exercises I've been through then added a couple more. Currently on "Drawing Fundamentals Phase II" Video 3.
The Budda bust gave me the most trouble. I ended up spending several hours on it.
 I'm terrible at finer details (small ledges, or anything that would require lines to be close together) and texture. unfortunately it shows in this.

[Image: WCube-1.jpg]
[Image: WCone-1.jpg]
[Image: WSphere1.jpg]
[Image: Wsphere-2.jpg]
[Image: WCylinder-1.jpg]
[Image: WDrawthrough-Shapes-1.jpg]
[Image: WBust-1.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - by MagneticScrolls - 02-10-2019, 01:54 PM