MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again
(05-20-2019, 01:47 PM)darktiste Wrote: I wouldn't advise watt yet since i consider it to be aim at more advance artist i recommend you go with loomis first.Your control of line is in my opinion should be one of your priority and your sense of proportion probably suffering because of your problem to accurately replicate long arc.You also have a tendency to try mirror feature as if they where seen from a front view instead of a 3/4.I would advise for the moment to stick to more basic simplification of the head for now in my opinion if you don't understand why a line is place there you shouldn't be putting that that line unless you understand why the artist put it there.What would also help you is to be able to differenciate the different feature of the face so you understand what intructor and people who give critic here are actually talking about.Vocabulary is a tricky subject because not everyone use the same vocabulary.But it an important aspect to be able to form a process and to digest explanation from other artist.

Alright,I  have started back with Loomis's book "Fun With a Pencil". At the moment I've only made it as far as Page 22

[Image: FWP-19-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-19-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-20-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-20-2.jpg]

[Image: FWP-21-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-22-1.jpg]

[Image: FWP-22-2.jpg]

(05-20-2019, 04:27 PM)chubby_cat Wrote: To kinda extend on what darktiste said - I think you should take time to practice drawing a skull from a an actual photograph of a skull, not another artists drawing. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the thought process of trying to mirror what another artist has done, and you end up not really learning anything expect for how to replicate a drawing.

An exercise that could be of some use (I believe it was Scott Eaton who suggested this) is to take photographs of people and practice drawing the skull overtop of these images. It will help you understand the proportions of how skin and muscle fits around a skull, and it is good practice identifying boney landmarks on people's faces.

I also find Proko to have really good videos on youtube that simplifies Loomis' method

I'll try to work on a photograph of a skull this week. Then once im a little better at sketching them try to draw over some faces.
Watched a couple of Proko videos and didn't get much out of them.  Maybe I went for ones that were too advanced for me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: MagneticScrolls Sketchbook - Starting from the beginning again - by MagneticScrolls - 05-28-2019, 03:41 PM