::Wave::
(09-17-2018, 08:31 AM)Amit Dutta Wrote: Heya. Welcome. Starting with lots of responsibility a bit later in life is a much harder balancing act. I know because i have done/am doing it (no kids but carer for elderly parents) Best of luck to you!

My single piece of advice besides being as consistent as you can and enjoying the work is to not wait to do a comic project of your own. Do it now. Don't wait for some magic skills to 'catch up'  catch up by doing.

The forum is dead mostly, besides a few sketchbooks so feel free to join the discord. Quicker and better crits usually...though there's a lot of shit talking in the general chat.

Props from one caregiver to another. I don't know if you feel the same about it for yourself, but I think my ideas are more relevant because of the time I've taken to care for my family; it's tested me in ways I don't think I would have otherwise bothered to grow in.

Yeah, I wandered over there to the discord and discovered the general chat... The other channels look cool, I will lurk for a bit before I figure out what to do.

As for making a comic, I'm also working on the writing skills I want to have. Because I don't have a specific plan for what story I want to tell, that makes it too vague. (I tried and it was all squishy). I've got a comics mentor/ publisher (who is already publishing a short story I wrote for one of his projects and guiding me through a proposal for my own project) and a writing coach/ partner (a good friend who talks craft with me and calls me on my shit) and a couple writing buddies that will go out and type at coffee shops so we are accountable to do it.

I would love to have for drawing the kind of support I've found for writing and then get the whole kite off the ground!

I completely understand what you mean by learning through doing though. I've taken a couple commissions from friends and I suddenly am driven to figure out very specific things I otherwise wouldn't have known I didn't know. The project teaches me what I don't know and drives me to seek out those skills fast.

Thanks for responding! Very encouraging. ~n<3

Messages In This Thread
::Wave:: - by NikkiDreamer - 09-16-2018, 11:01 AM
RE: ::Wave:: - by darktiste - 09-16-2018, 02:40 PM
RE: ::Wave:: - by NikkiDreamer - 09-23-2018, 04:15 AM
RE: ::Wave:: - by Amit Dutta - 09-17-2018, 08:31 AM
RE: ::Wave:: - by NikkiDreamer - 09-17-2018, 11:56 AM
RE: ::Wave:: - by NikkiDreamer - 09-23-2018, 04:19 AM
RE: ::Wave:: - by Artloader - 09-18-2018, 07:34 AM
RE: ::Wave:: - by NikkiDreamer - 09-23-2018, 04:35 AM
RE: ::Wave:: - by Amit Dutta - 09-23-2018, 09:59 AM