Cocheese's Sketchbook
i! My name is Ethan and this is my sketchbook. Or, at least the pages I don't find horribly embarrassing. For some background, I've been at the whole drawing thing for about three months now (I know, an underwhelming figure), and as of 2-3 weeks ago I discovered that actually drawing is incidentally the most important aspect of learning to. Beforehand I simply watched a lot of tutorials hoping understanding of drawing concepts would be enough.

Anyways, since then I've spent a whole lot of time just wandering aimlessly around sketching any objects that capture a vague amount of my attention.

Here's the "highlight reel" of my past three weeks! Yes, I assure you. The highlight reel. :/

The first two weeks mostly consisted of, as I stated before, drawing from life around my house! Very messy and unfocused, but quite a fun process!
[Image: gKeSRsg.jpg]
[Image: 80NjwW2.jpg]
[Image: Wd0tEzr.jpg]
[Image: l8MyPS5.jpg]
[Image: eHSB23t.jpg]
[Image: NZh4PwG.jpg]
This last week I purchased Marshall Vandruff's series on perspective and, after doing a bit of reading on perspective's importance to imaginative drawing, have been attempting to drill perspective as deep into my intuition as possible. (freehand- if that wasn't already apparent)
[Image: g1n9U3W.jpg]
[Image: qg1EWbN.jpg]
[Image: WvjYMOc.jpg]
I realized a big bad habit: repeatedly drawing over my lines when I don't need to, and tried to clean up a bit, although the process admittedly now feels stiflingly meticulous and I find myself lapsing frequently back into the comfort of messiness. 
[Image: wNrA4lx.jpg]
[Image: yHl9ajo.jpg]
[Image: BL0it7o.jpg][Image: FRyqOqm.jpg]
To alleviate the dryness of drawing a bunch of boxes all day every day I'm also dipping my toes into the free version of Proko's figure drawing course. I would have never guessed in trying to learn to draw I would both (a) be tasked to draw stick figures, and (b) struggle to draw stick figures. 
[Image: CpdQixg.jpg]
[Image: 63GN55N.jpg]
[Image: ZKzDbwQ.jpg]

The largest problem I feel like I'm facing myself is a heavy lack of focus in my practice. On one hand I'm basically a complete beginner and I've heard mileage "is king" for a while, but on the other I worry I'm just dilly-dallying and won't see significant improvement. If mileage is the way to go, at what point would I know it's time to switch to far more deliberate practice like the sorts of things you all do? I know a lot of these questions are immensely subjective and equate to me basically asking you to tell me what my favorite color is but I just feel really lost.

Also, criticism is entirely welcome! In fact, if there's anything I'm missing please let me know!

P.S. I'm trying to get the scanner on my printer to work, so I apologize entirely for the awful camera quality.

Messages In This Thread
Cocheese's Sketchbook - by Cocheese - 03-06-2020, 11:26 AM
RE: Cocheese's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 03-06-2020, 12:21 PM
RE: Cocheese's Sketchbook - by Pubic Enemy - 03-06-2020, 12:43 PM
RE: Cocheese's Sketchbook - by Cocheese - 03-06-2020, 01:29 PM
RE: Cocheese's Sketchbook - by Artloader - 03-06-2020, 11:45 PM
RE: Cocheese's Sketchbook - by Cocheese - 03-09-2020, 04:21 PM
RE: Cocheese's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 03-10-2020, 03:30 AM
RE: Cocheese's Sketchbook - by Cocheese - 03-10-2020, 04:45 PM
RE: Cocheese's Sketchbook - by Pubic Enemy - 03-10-2020, 11:18 PM
RE: Cocheese's Sketchbook - by Cocheese - 03-11-2020, 02:32 AM