Mess of ideas
(05-04-2020, 08:29 AM)Rotohail Wrote: I gotta say I'm pumped up to see someone doing stuff like this, and showcasing their approach.
The highlights to me are the creature puns and designs! Quite a few chuckles there, nice job! Honestly!
Alright question, is the chef battling creatures, is he getting something out of them or are just, obstacles? Because if you think about it, the creatures themselves could give not ingredients but cooked meals, so hero or playable character could be a failed chef or actually terrible at cooking, so hunting for creature meals could be their way to make up for it? Pursue their dream ha ha. Or, the hero could be anything but an actual chef (or have cooking knowledge) so hunting for those things would be their only way to get food. In any case, I liked it much, you may want to develop the puns by giving the creatures some catchy phrase or sound, in relation to their theme? I've seen artist do that and if you can pull it off you can get some extra appeal with it.

Edit: Oops, just read the core concept about it being Metroidvania and the structure. My bad ha ha, oh well the question is then more of a theoretical one if you want to discuss it? Looking forward then to see if you still would design other characters or what their powers/gear would be.

Thanks for the feedback and compliment! My friends and bf always get mad at me (in a good way) when i say a new food pun, cus its so bad haha.

Well to go more deep in it, there is two type of creatures: The Ingredientes and The Basic Recipes. For the normal creatures like tucanana, simão, etc, they drop fragments of their ingredient, if you defeat tucanana you get banana fragments. The Basic Recipes are the bosses, where you need to defeat them in order to receive their recipe, a rare ingredient/item and a skill. Like... if you defeat Sr.Vete you unlock some low level recipes made of ice cream, and then u need to keep cooking it and selling it until you be able to unlock more (quite similar to Moonligther - which is also my reference for this). Also you unlock the skill to freeze stuff for a short time, being monsters or water to unlock new areas to explore. But all bosses will respawn (more harder) after some point, since you still need to get some rare ingredients with'em to unlock more recipes.

[Abt the MC] In the story i put like, the monsters are their only source of food since all foods in there became like that due to a curse (cliche thingy), and Theo (MC) came from a family of chefs and mercenaries that end up in ruin due to it, so he needs to hunt them to recover the family's honor as well as to provide hope and food to people (cus the only way to defeat them is with kitchen tools and no one knew that, Theo discovered it afterwards - also not all tools are effective, like to defeat Sr.Vete you need to be equipped with a spoon, if you use a fork/knive your damage will be halved/null).

[Abt the creatures puns] Tbh is becus i didnt translated all the names but all of them are puns hahaha. The only creature i used the sound for name was Boo, cus, in the end i needed to justify its name (and i was in a hurry to deliver the first part of the document), so i though with myself "ah ok, he does a boo sound and yeah...". Also initially Boo is the only creature that they can get food from (potatoes) since it's one of the few dociles monsters out there (because he is damn lazy). Back to the puns another example is Lenoura which means Lacraia (Centipede) + Cenoura (Carrot); Cogum (Cogumelo - Mushroom); Simão is Sapo (Toat) + Limão (Lemon) and so on (i'm so sorry). I might just need to do english puns later on if i ever manage to work on this for real after my graduation xD But i still have more monsters to design like apples, cabbages, tomatoes, bread, cake, peppers, alternatives to meat and so on.

In total i have 65 recipes (to design), 12 Bosses (need to design 10 + 1 skill that i'm trying my hardest to decide), 17 ingredients (need to design 8) and 20 Kitchen Tools (which i dont need to design since they are based on real ones :v) - But luckly this is just for the document, for the prototype i just need to do 5% of it

Sorry i end up talking too much, it happens @@

Messages In This Thread
Mess of ideas - by Gkatsura - 05-03-2020, 12:11 AM
RE: Mess of ideas - by bonjidogen - 05-03-2020, 04:20 AM
RE: Mess of ideas - by Gkatsura - 05-03-2020, 07:05 AM
RE: Mess of ideas - by Rotohail - 05-04-2020, 08:29 AM
RE: Mess of ideas - by Gkatsura - 05-04-2020, 09:59 PM
RE: Mess of ideas - by Gkatsura - 05-04-2020, 10:17 PM
RE: Mess of ideas - by Rotohail - 05-05-2020, 06:18 AM
RE: Mess of ideas - by Gkatsura - 05-06-2020, 01:29 AM
RE: Mess of ideas - by Artloader - 05-06-2020, 07:54 AM
RE: Mess of ideas - by Gkatsura - 05-06-2020, 10:01 PM