jacksoneligray's Sketchbook
I think the problem with what you call your sense of realism is probably just a problem with observing and exaggerating in a characteristic way, because, in this portrait, you seem to be exaggerating some of her features in a way that is not characteristic to the reference. I don't think you're supposed to just draw only of exactly what you see, but you need to inform your decisions on how to stylize based on what you see. For example, her smile is clearly a lot longer than it is wide, but you widened it and made the upper lip fuller for no apparent reason. Same thing with the eyes, they seem pretty small to me and i would have made them even smaller if i wanted to stylize, but you went the opposite way. Another thing is how wide you made her cheeks and face shape in general, while the reference is a lot taller.

Everyone has specific face decisions they default to subconsciously, and larger eyes and wider faces might be those for you, but the point in doing portraits from reference is (i assume for you as well) to get the likeness. I had a really specific way i would draw noses (among other things) because i drew a lot from imagination and less from reference and i had to be really conscious about observing what the model's nose really looks like. This stuff is just normal and the way to get over it, in my opinion, is to first take mental note of what you have a tendency to do by default, and then, when observing, consciously describe the model's characteristics to yourself. When you start blocking in a portrait, keep asking yourself - are her eyes large, what's the shape of her face, and so on, and consciously recognize what you think they are. I think it really helps to say it to yourself, that way you don't work mindlessly.
You obviously know how to render the forms from reference, but the problem with this one is the value relationships. The whole face is darker than the reference and the smaller value changes (like the side of the nose, for example) are stronger in your painting, which makes her look kinda old. I think you could think the same way when trying to figure out the values - keep asking yourself how light or dark something should be in relationship to the rest of the painting. If you now know you have a tendency to overexaggerate smaller value differences, try to be conscious of that particular tendency the next time you work. If you know what you tend to mess up, you can focus on a couple things and not feel overwhelmed by everything at once.
hope my rambling's been at least somewhat helpful lol
looking forward to more stuff from you!

Drain gang

Messages In This Thread
jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by jacksoneligray - 07-24-2020, 08:52 AM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by xelfereht - 07-24-2020, 12:09 PM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by xelfereht - 07-31-2020, 11:19 PM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by xelfereht - 08-01-2020, 06:07 PM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 07-26-2020, 04:20 PM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by ognjiša - 07-26-2020, 04:59 PM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 07-27-2020, 04:44 AM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 07-31-2020, 09:17 AM