jacksoneligray's Sketchbook
Thanks to both of you!

@darktiste
That's definitely true, when it comes to studies I really just go into auto-pilot mode and get sidetracked from what I'm supposed to be doing, which ultimately leads to me not actually learning anything from doing it in the first place and just essentially trying to restructure things so they look like I didn't know what I wanted, which is what I think again happened here.
I completely agree about the hair, in all honesty I just don't understand how to render hair. I'm going to need to dedicate some time to figuring that out.

@ognjisa
I think "my sense of realism" is really just chalked up to me not knowing what I am trying to accomplish when I set out to do a study. Part of me wants to try to recreate what I'm looking at, but part of me wants to repurpose it into something else, so then I just end up with something down the middle that is just... weird. It's pretty much always gone this way for me. I guess I struggle to think in a one-track mind in that setting. Because it's weird, although I clearly made decisions to stylize things, I stylized them in a way I would have never chosen if I didn't have a reference. I would have never drawn eyes this way in any other setting. They look strange!
In regards to values... Yeah. That has been a never ending struggle for me. I need to not move things so drastically. Acknowledging the common mistakes I make will definitely be on my mind, thanks.

Alright, thank you both; this was very helpful. I'm going to try to knock out another one today with your notes in mind.

Messages In This Thread
jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by jacksoneligray - 07-24-2020, 08:52 AM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by xelfereht - 07-24-2020, 12:09 PM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by xelfereht - 07-31-2020, 11:19 PM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by xelfereht - 08-01-2020, 06:07 PM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 07-26-2020, 04:20 PM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by ognjiša - 07-26-2020, 04:59 PM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by jacksoneligray - 07-27-2020, 04:16 AM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 07-27-2020, 04:44 AM
RE: jacksoneligray's Sketchbook - by darktiste - 07-31-2020, 09:17 AM