Gerben's Sketchbook - Sharpening the axe
Some new studies, still enjoying the heck out of it. I feel like I'm discovering a new way to paint, which is really exciting. 

I am always very technical-heavy with my work, and I also consider my canvas as a 3D space. But recently talking with JosephCow and others, and seeing some of the more "flat" stuff out there I start to realize that the canvas is not 3D, it's flat. Depth is an illusion, which gives me much more freedom to place things where I want them to make an interesting composition, as opposed to placing things where "they should be because that's the 3D space". 

John Berkey, what a legend. Looooove his work. Very challenging subject again a very detailed spaceship. In my version not all the shapes read the same way his do but I'm happy with the overal impression I captured of it. 

John Harris, also a legend. I don't know what the original of this looks like but in my pic the colors are super intense. Was especially fun to consider the best order to paint this in, which element first and which second. The shadow color's value is super duper bright, would have never considered doing this myself.

"No man is more unhappy than he who never faces adversity. For he is not permitted to prove himself." - Seneca

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gerben's Sketchbook - Sharpening the axe - by gerbenpasjes - 02-12-2021, 05:48 PM