Crimson CHOW #42 - Elemental Whisperer
@PE -

Thank you! Almost crashed into the wall but the wall kindly shifted :)

@Lege1 -

I do recognize the value of your advice because I went through these techniques when I was more intent on art. Started with hard round brushes with opacity variation in the GIMP - there wasn't much else in terms of brushes in it at the time. Then discovered the weird pseudo-oil brush of openCanvas and was like a kid in a sandbox doing direct painting, my most enjoyable and prolific time. Later on I explored more advanced techniques and time savers in Clip Studio. Now I'm on Krita, which I haven't figured out completely yet, and I feel like a beginner again.

When I started my final composition for this CHOW and saw how close the deadline was, I instinctively fell into my ancient comfort zone, direct painting, almost used a single layer but resisted it and made just a few for the different elements, not for color tweaking. This explains in part why it turned out so improvised.

Although I made a few polished pieces in the past, it was always by "sculpting" a direct painting, not by following a line drawing. These are two separate worlds in my mind. Drawing is an abstract representation for comics or inks, painting is more down to earth and tangible. I should probably revise my view.

The one thing that I very rarely used outside of comic paneling, is masks. Krita has them I think, so I'll have another look at the technique for paintings.

Thank you everyone for the fun ride and the adventure! I'm going back to my comic, which I neglected for a month, but would enjoy participating in a future challenge - spending less time in doodling and backstory and tackling my final piece earlier.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crimson CHOW #42 - Elemental Whisperer - by Leo Ki - 03-08-2023, 10:15 AM