Crimson CHOW #44 - Mermaid Infantry Unit
Star 
@CBinnsIllustration: I really like a lot that you have going on with your piece and the rendering of course looks really good. I really like the face of the creature and the mermaid looks very cool, especially the hair. I did want to point out a few things that stand out to me that I just wanted to bring to your attention, and these things are strictly suggestive and subjective.

-I feel that the way you have done the mermaid's tail goes against the flow of the image and compositionally is crammed in the lower left corner of the image, and the tail is too long. I drew through in the light blue to show just how long the tail is. Typically, mermaid tails would be the length of a woman's legs and then some at most to not look out of proportion; none the less, mermaids are fantastical creatures, so who's really to say?

-The red drawing of the tail is just what I was suggesting, it could be shorter, or a little longer to break the page frame, but that angle, flow, and direction I felt works a lot better.

-I think the bottom of the image feels a little empty in regard to visual space, especially if you don't have the mermaid's tail down there in the left corner of the image anymore. Even a subtle mention of mountains or some type of environment down there would do piece some justice; compositionally it just seems like something is missing.

-The body of the creature is rather strange in anatomy and is visually reminiscent of anal beads (I'm not even trying to be funny here, just calling it how I see it). I think a few shape interruptions are cool to show it is developing something internally, but I think there are way too many as of the moment.

-Lastly, I think some more bubbles in the mix would look really cool especially around the creature's mouth and the mermaid's tail.

I really do like the overall image and concept and the color palette you've chosen to go with here, especially adding warms into the creature's body and face to break up all the greens and blues of the rest of the image. Putting a light overlay layer of blue low opacity over the whole image might really make it more homogenous as well.

Attached Files Image(s)

LEGEND'S SKETCHBOOK_001
To all artists struggling to create and are intimidated by A.I. (anti-imagination)
Sun "Everything has been done, but not by you" Sun

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crimson CHOW #44 - Mermaid Infantry Unit - by Lege1 - 05-24-2023, 06:44 PM