Comic Reading List
With the approach of Daniel Luvisi's interview, I took a look at his DA account and the LMS website. I LOVED IT. He linked to HeavyMetal.com website to buy the book (though it's not there :( ) and that's where I got sucked into a vortex that is...whatever that is. Browsing the graphic novels section made my head spin, but in a good way.

I've only seriously read manga (japanese comics), but that's not to say I don't love the western comic art. And I definitely like THIS art.

But I have no clue where to start.

TL;.DR Does anyone recommend awesome western comics outside Marvel and DC, like those featured at HeavyMetal.com (not exactly sure what you call that; hardcore kickassness scifi/fantasy/erotic genre?) to someone who is a total newb to that world?

Thanks!
Hey Amber,

If you want to check out an awesome 'eavy metal comic my pick of the litter in my book is Gypsy by artist Enrico Marini, its a supurb manga/ western style. There is English translation available on amazon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gipsy_(comics)

Anything by the writer Alan Moore, particularly Watchmen and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the comic is 1 billion times better than the film)

And everyone seems to fall in love with Love and Rockets by the Hernandez brothers at some point in their comic carriers….

my favorite graphic novel has always been "Doomed" by Ashley Wood. It's based on classic short stories by horror writers from the twilight zone and hitchcock presents. It's definitely Ashley Woods best work. Even he says so.
[Image: 1doomed.jpg]
My second favorite is Pride Of Bagdhad. It's about a pride of lions that escape from the bagdhad zoo.
[Image: pride-bomber.jpeg]
Northlanders is a great ongoing series. The interiors are typically meh, but the storytelling is always great.
[Image: Northlanders_Vol_1_40.jpg]
Here's a link to a free issue of The Killer.
http://graphicly.com/archaia-comics/the-killer/1
Thanks alot guys. I'll be looking into these :)
Id check out Hellblazer, Preacher, The Walking Dead, Y the Last Man and DMZ if you want some gritty stuff to read. :)

Forsomething a bit more lighthearted but with some really cool artwork id check out Invincible.

Peace.

if you want HEAVY METAL™

buy old Heavy Metal magazines, you can find them still cheap in bins at comic book stores that carry old stuff, the magazine was still good and influential well thru the 90s imho. HM curates its own style really...

specific artists that they featured were:

Moebius' stuff (avoid the recent incal recolored reissues)

Ranxerox or sometimes called Ranx by Tanino Libertore for hardcore trashy cyberpunk.

Richard Corbens work for classic hm art/fantasy themes

Enki Bilal interesting art and storytelling similair to Moebius.

for storytelling and great art Jordowskys Metabarons illustrated by Juan Gimenez for amazing tech designs mixed with fantasy.

theres also weapons of Metabarons illustrated by Travis Charest, awesome.

but all of Juan Gimenez really, he got me into HM stuff he is my favorite.

his interior art is amazing, every panel is rendered out.

I will attach some of his stuff.

After that look for Simon Bisleys work which eastman was a huge fan of and where heavy metal kinda took a different stylistic turn.

Attached Files Image(s)

The original Hellboy comics are a pretty good read ;)