Latest Work
Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get some feedback on my latest works:

[Image: gypsy.jpg]

This one is after studying sidwill-cg from deviantart:
[Image: portrait03.jpg]

This one is after studying ilikeyoursensitivity from deviantart:
[Image: smile-1.jpg]

Hi there warmics:)

For me it seems like you're very much paying attention to nose, lips, cheek and eyes, which is a good thing - but it seems you're simplifying other things too much and neglecting them time and effort. This is things like the hair, the ears, the neck muscles, clavicles, clothing too. If you put the same effort into those things it would help you immensely, because the nose, eyes and lips on the last picture is really succesful :)

hope it helped

/Benjamin
(07-05-2012, 06:30 AM)benjaminbach Wrote: Hi there warmics:)

For me it seems like you're very much paying attention to nose, lips, cheek and eyes, which is a good thing - but it seems you're simplifying other things too much and neglecting them time and effort. This is things like the hair, the ears, the neck muscles, clavicles, clothing too. If you put the same effort into those things it would help you immensely, because the nose, eyes and lips on the last picture is really succesful :)

hope it helped

/Benjamin

Thanks for your feedback! You're totally right. I tend to get impatient after a while and speed through the last bits of my work. It's a bad habit I need to shake off. Thanks again!

Last one looks a lot like http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/3...4huujl.jpg Not an accusation or anything, just wondering you'd been looking at it?
(07-07-2012, 03:10 AM)SamC Wrote: Last one looks a lot like http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/3...4huujl.jpg Not an accusation or anything, just wondering you'd been looking at it?

Hey Sam! Yeah, totally, it was based on that, i should have probably said it was kind of a style study. I'm not trying to rip him off XD I think in the description it said I used Ilikeyoursensitivity style, just neglected to put that here too XD Sorry!

update:

[Image: come-to-me.jpg]

[Image: I-will-protect-you.jpg]

[Image: red-hood.jpg]

My feedback is that you should basically think about adding some value variation and transitions to showcase the forms in your images more. Example: last image above, the whole arm is almost completely flat, yet her nose has value and 3d form but the rest of her face doesn't. These could be stylistic choices but at the moment you are mixing both together somewhat unsuccessfully. Not sure if it's laziness or a conscious attempt at trying to mix the two.

I'd suggest doing more full value "3D" photoreal studies and more 2d stylistic studies and then you may be in a better position to be able to gauge how to combine these a little better.
Hope that helps :)

...Forgot to mention, you tend to use almost no highlights at all, which to me make most of your images seem a little unfinished. A small highlight goes a long way :D

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
(07-19-2012, 08:47 PM)monkeybread Wrote: My feedback is that you should basically think about adding some value variation and transitions to showcase the forms in your images more. Example: last image above, the whole arm is almost completely flat, yet her nose has value and 3d form but the rest of her face doesn't. These could be stylistic choices but at the moment you are mixing both together somewhat unsuccessfully. Not sure if it's laziness or a conscious attempt at trying to mix the two.

I'd suggest doing more full value "3D" photoreal studies and more 2d stylistic studies and then you may be in a better position to be able to gauge how to combine these a little better.
Hope that helps :)

...Forgot to mention, you tend to use almost no highlights at all, which to me make most of your images seem a little unfinished. A small highlight goes a long way :D

Thanks for the feedback! It was not a stylistic choice, nor was it laziness, it was plain ignorance and I didn't realize it, but now I totally see it, thanks! I am doing studies, I just need to keep doing more I guess XD The lack of highlights was a stylistic choice, but I guess I might be going overboard with it. I just like the opaque look.

[Image: female-knight-13.jpg]

[Image: mermaid.jpg]

Haha, it's a good sign you can attribute your ignorance as the reason and then forge ahead :). As to the highlights, it's probably more important to get your forms to read well, then the amount of highlight is a matter of lighting, materials and what key you like to work in...I'm guessing you prefer low X)

Those two are much better already man!

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta