something is wrong
Imo this is my best work to date. I know it isn't up to par with LOTS of the work here. Hoping to get to that point though. But I need your help. Where did I succeed, where did I fail, Why don't my pants fit when I sit down, why do I have trouble sleeping at night? Only you can help me see what my mind chooses to ignore.

http://grundalug.deviantart.com/art/Do-w...-311183735

Hi grundalug,

I like the idea of the demon dude offering something. especially the face looks convincing to me and you put a lot of work into it. good work :>

I made a little overpaint
http://i.imgur.com/Wx2vo.jpg
on the left the original image, in the middle the stuff i've added, on the right the new image.

i think it would be better to make him look at the viewer, atm he is looking of the page and that is where the eye of the beholder will go, unless there is something catching it, which there isnt. also is that fire coming from his hands? if it is you should add more lighting. I enhanced the blue light you have coming from the right and I tried to push some off the things down a bit (espacially the latch on his coat). but thats all details, all in all it is really good.

what you could try would be to make the narrative stronger by having him making a "let's shake hands"-gesture. atm he is more like: check out my cool smoke-trick. I hope that makes sense ^^

cheers,
flo

Please help me getting better by checking out my sketchbook

HOMEPAGE http://floart.weebly.com
(06-28-2012, 06:26 PM)Flo Wrote: Hi grundalug,

I like the idea of the demon dude offering something. especially the face looks convincing to me and you put a lot of work into it. good work :>

I made a little overpaint
http://i.imgur.com/Wx2vo.jpg
on the left the original image, in the middle the stuff i've added, on the right the new image.

i think it would be better to make him look at the viewer, atm he is looking of the page and that is where the eye of the beholder will go, unless there is something catching it, which there isnt. also is that fire coming from his hands? if it is you should add more lighting. I enhanced the blue light you have coming from the right and I tried to push some off the things down a bit (espacially the latch on his coat). but thats all details, all in all it is really good.

what you could try would be to make the narrative stronger by having him making a "let's shake hands"-gesture. atm he is more like: check out my cool smoke-trick. I hope that makes sense ^^

cheers,
flo

thank you very much for the crit and paintover. those are all very good points, i had the main eye looking at the viewer initially, at some point in time it lost that focus during my rendering. guess i should bring it back. i will try to make the changes you suggested. i like the idea of the glow eye you added too. probably going to steal that.

thanks again.

Hi Grundalug, did a quick paintover for you. I think the main issue here is that you're focusing a lot on detail and not enough on the big shapes of light. This gives a very strange overall look..everything's there in the right place but something doesn't feel right. I went over this with a big brush and just blocked in the shapes of the core light and shadows from that angle. You can get better at doing this by doing a lot of photostudies and life studies and squinting your eyes to see the bigger shapes. You're basically looking at light hitting a form than painting the subject itself. You'll also notice than in shadows there isn't that much detail. I think you'll find this really useful and it'll save you a lot of time detailing needlessly.

Hope this helps

Sam

[Image: grundalug-dowehaveadeal.jpg]
(06-30-2012, 10:56 PM)SamC Wrote: Hi Grundalug, did a quick paintover for you. I think the main issue here is that you're focusing a lot on detail and not enough on the big shapes of light. This gives a very strange overall look..everything's there in the right place but something doesn't feel right. I went over this with a big brush and just blocked in the shapes of the core light and shadows from that angle. You can get better at doing this by doing a lot of photostudies and life studies and squinting your eyes to see the bigger shapes. You're basically looking at light hitting a form than painting the subject itself. You'll also notice than in shadows there isn't that much detail. I think you'll find this really useful and it'll save you a lot of time detailing needlessly.

Hope this helps

Sam

[Image: grundalug-dowehaveadeal.jpg]
effin sweet sam! i will take that into account when i fix this guy. and with my future studies.

thanks again.