When downsizing in Photoshop...
Hey all,
just wondering when you downsize a painting in photoshop what is the best setting to have? Is it 'nearest neighbour (preserves hard edges)' or something else? At the moment I'm using this one with all the 3 boxes underneath checked dpi 72. The DPI, is it worth changing it from 72 to 300 when doing this or not?

Unfortunately there is a lot of misconception about DPI. Please, follow my advice, because it is accurate and ignore misleading philosophies of some other people who think they know what they are talking about.

DPI matters only when you print your images (it's technically "Dots per inch"). Monitors only display directly up to 72 PPI (anything higher is converted/scalled to what monitor can physically display) so it really doesn't matter unless you want to print it. Regular printer used in homes and offices can handle usually 150-200 DPI. Professional prints are printed in between 300-600 DPI (300 is a minimum standard for photography).

You can paint in 72 PPI and print in any other DPI setting available for you. You can even paint in 1PPI and print in 600DPI.
If you know you want to print something, you can stright away scale your image to a best setting available for your printer (if it's for professional work, it's usually 300 DPI).

If it's for a client, who takes care of printing, you don't have to care -he/she can scale image to whatever resolution he/she wants (unless it's stated otherwise in job description).

Hope that helps. If something is unclear I'll try to provide further explanation.

Thanks for the in depth reply that helped a lot :). Just wondering about the 3 choice of settings when I downsize though, like when you have the 3 diff options, and you can choose nearest neighbour or one that says is best for smooth gradients and another one I don't remember, is there generally a best option out of those 3 or will it depend on the style/type of the painting?

Well, I'm not entirely sure what You mean, because I don't remember such options to exist, to be honest. At the moment i do not have PS, so I can't even check. Maybe someone is better qualified to answer that than me. For me, personally it doesn't matter that much, it's probably I really hard to notice difference. I kight be wrong though.

Sorry that I couldn't help You with this one.

No problem, thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.